Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Predestination just makes more sense
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: He dumped a load of lumber on me... Troy Hamby
David Branson wrote:
....as I was minding my own business, happily in my sin, not looking for God, salvation, or inner peace. I was walking along pulling a handtruck behind me at work in a sawmill when a load of lumber got knocked over and fell on me, I screamed out, "Jesus, save me!" Afterwards I was like, "Where the hell did that come from, I ain't a Christian, nor do I care to be."
Eventually, I got saved........

very cool, awesome testimony!!
Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
2/5/14 9:36 pm

Post Daniel Rushing
mytimewillcome wrote:
I remember my first prooftexting mistake
Thumb Up Thumb Up

I think we run into major issues when we think that the author of Ephesians is trying to answer the question; "Who goes to heaven and who doesn't?" The church, not unlike 1st century Pharisees, is overly concerned with distinguishing who's in and who's out.

There are several possible reasons why the author addresses God's power over fate in this letter, not least of which is the magical practices known to be prevalent in the area of western Asia Minor. These people lived in constant fear of other-worldly spiritual powers controlling their "fates." Mystery religions, Jewish cults, Egyptian magic, Greek mythology... all of these had formed a smorgasbord of superstition in the region. The point is, that Christ has supremacy over all of that, because long before their fates fell under the power of mischievous spirits, God predestined Christ to "fill all things," and to raise them into "heavenly places" with Christ.

In Christ they are not only free from the "powers" control of their fates, but they could trust God, since they are participating in the plan he uniquely predestined, and they have been placed in the very realm they once feared: heavenly (spiritual) places.

We err when we read everything in the New Testament as answering questions about the after-life; that's of marginal concern to the first century Christians.

(Side Note: Just check out Acts 19 if you want to get a little bit of proof of the spiritual climate of magic and superstition that pervaded the region. Magic was the practice of manipulating spirits that controlled your fate. Fascinating stuff!)
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
2/6/14 1:29 am

Post An interesting quote... Mark Ledbetter
from a book I'm reading:
Quote:

"When Hashem [The Name, or God] took the dust of the earth, formed man, and breathed into him a G-dly [Godly] soul, He created a unique creature containing within himself both the spiritual and the physical. It is that duality that endows man with free will.

Were he bound strictly by the physical world, he would have no more free choice than the animals. Were he connected solely to the spiritual world, he would have no more free will than the angels.

Because man lives in both worlds, he has the ability to make choices..."

Chofetz Chaim, The Concepts and Laws of Proper Speech, Mesorah Publications: Brooklyn (2002), xxvii.

I am certain there will be some, if not most everyone, will dismiss the thoughts because they are Jewish in origin; but the thoughts are worthy of consideration.

It has been suggested the issue must be "either/or" and not "both/and," but that supposition is presented between to opposite positions of a body of beliefs.

But what does the Scriptures say/suggest? Two passages come to mind:
Quote:

“For truly in this city there were gathered together against Your holy servant Jesus, whom You anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, along with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, to do whatever Your hand and Your purpose predestined to occur.Ac 4:27-28

Quote:
Yet we do speak wisdom among those who are mature; a wisdom, however, not of this age nor of the rulers of this age, who are passing away; but we speak God’s wisdom in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God predestined before the ages to our glory; the wisdom which none of the rulers of this age has understood; for if they had understood it they would not have crucified the Lord of glory; but just as it is written, “Things which eye has not seen and ear has not heard, And which have not entered the heart of man, All that God has prepared for those who love Him.” For to us God revealed them through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God.1 Co 2:6-10

Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
2/10/14 9:53 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Anyone who has ever had a pet dog or cat knows that animals have a mind, will, and emotions. Genesis 7:22 even says plainly that animals have the "spirit of the breath of life" in them.

I'm not arguing that animals have eternal souls, but to say that animals have no ability to make choices and have no real mental abilities at all is just not true to life.

I do believe God made mankind alone in His image and likeness, only a little lower than the angels, but to say that the ability to make choices and being endued with the spirit of the breath of life is what makes man special doesn't seem to fit either Scripture or Experience.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/11/14 1:50 am

Post Animals... Mark Ledbetter
do make choices based upon instinct and it is a far cry than the rational, or irrational decision made by humans.

Animals do not base their decisions and actions upon moral, or immoral belief systems and therefore their actions are neither moral or immoral.

The creative act of man - God's direct involvement in giving man life - separates man from all other creatures.

The expression "spirit of life" found in Genesis 7:22 could just as easily be rendered "breath of life," which the context supports.

All mankind, like animals, that breathed and were not on the ark died because they no longer breathed - it is the physical attribute man shares with animals and their is no spiritual or moral ramifications connected with breathing.
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
2/11/14 5:46 am

Post We make it too complex Scooter
We make it too complex. God created us to be like Jesus. He predestined us to be like Jesus. That's why it's a whosoever will call.

Unfortunately, not everyone will be like Jesus. That's not God's fault.
Acts Enthusiast
2/12/14 3:08 pm

Post Re: We make it too complex David Branson
Scooter wrote:
We make it too complex. God created us to be like Jesus. He predestined us to be like Jesus. That's why it's a whosoever will call.

Unfortunately, not everyone will be like Jesus. That's not God's fault.

I dont know......
"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things." Isaiah 45:7

...and then....
" “So you see, the Lord has put a lying spirit in the mouths of all your prophets. For the Lord has pronounced your doom.” 1st Kings 22:23

There are more that give me pause. "vessels meant for destruction" , "will the clay ask the potter" in Romans.......
2/13/14 1:02 pm

Post Mercy Scooter
And He will have mercy upon who He will have mercy. Cool Acts Enthusiast
2/13/14 2:17 pm

Post Re: Mercy David Branson
Scooter wrote:
And He will have mercy upon who He will have mercy. Cool

Thumb Up
2/13/14 4:01 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.