Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Super Bowl Party but no church service.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Seriously? Purplebarney
You're blaming the (so-called) demise of the church on churches not having a Sunday evening service? Wow! That is just plain ignorance I'm sorry. As was mentioned a few times.....nowhere in the Bible does it say we should have church on Sunday pm, am, Wed pm etc.......so if a church decides not to have a service on Sunday pm there is NO Biblical basis to attack them. It's like this every year. This subject comes up every SB Sunday.

As for the church making things convenient for the attendees......I'm 10000% all for that. Again, each church and community should decide what works best for their community/situation. So ABSOLUTELY yes! A church is very smart to do what will most effectively work for their attendees. Why would a church wanna do any other way? Don't you wanna be MOST effective? It has NOTHING to do with a Sunday pm service UNLESS your church has seen that it's attendees prefer to attend on Sunday.

It's simple to see why many have spoken negatively about canceling Sunday pm services. It's totally a COG and AOG thing. We were indoctrinated with Sunday am/pm and Wed pm service attendance. Forced to believe that missing them was the worst thing we could ever do. Well, it's 2014. People have changed and if the church doesn't adjust the church will dry up and die. We are seeing it happen like one poster said. I'm not talking about changing your faith or beliefs. I'm only talking about being MOST effective in reaching our community.
Acts-celerater
2/2/14 2:45 pm

Post Don't know how to link but otium sanctum
I have the web site: scoutdoornews.com Friendly Face
2/2/14 3:30 pm

Post krista
Thought it was hilarious, the first play and the blowout it was, for all you guys that put Church off for the game. You got what you deserved.
It's funny because of the Churches that do away with service to watch some good commercials. Hope you're happy. Laughing Laughing
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/3/14 11:16 am

Post Yep Purplebarney
We had an amazing Super Bowl event! And yep, we are all still Christians. Love The Lord. Serve him daily even when we don't have a service on Sunday pm. Just wanted you to know that. It doesn't matter how good or bad the game is, it's always fun getting together with friends for the SB! Acts-celerater
2/3/14 12:09 pm

Post Cojak
krista wrote:
Thought it was hilarious, the first play and the blowout it was, for all you guys that put Church off for the game. You got what you deserved.
It's funny because of the Churches that do away with service to watch some good commercials. Hope you're happy. Laughing Laughing

It worked out fine, All the real Christians were praying for a Seahawks win like Jesus walking on the sea like on the winds of the hawk.

Joking he said, 'What an answer to prayer!'

Lighten up Krista, it's over and WE are still in a great family, even though you feel some have strayed. This Family of God is a good one, just like the earthly family, there are those who stray at times, but we still love 'em.

Sorry your Bronc's lost. Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/3/14 12:26 pm

Post What's FUNNY...... Purplebarney
Is that it sounds like if you miss one Sunday night service ever that you sin against God and somehow you're NOT as holy or anointed as those who attend church EVERY Sunday night including SB Sunday.

What about Churches that have 2 Friday pm services, 4 Sat services, and 3 Sunday am services but not a Sunday pm service. So are they more anointed or holy than those who DON'T have Friday or Sat services?

I realize that the focus is churches who normally have a Sunday pm service canceling and either having a church party or allowing families to get together for the Super Bowl. However, if you're gonna make that argument then you have to discuss the top portion of this post. You're saying Sunday pm services are mandatory even on SB Sunday. Just sayin'. Again, most of this, well actually ALL of it, most likely comes from being raised in a denomination that had church every Sunday am & pm and Wed pm and that tradition eventually became almost like the 11th commandment. I know this because I was raised in it and I used to think the same way. So I understand the logic behind some of these comments. It is ABSOLUTELY possible for a Christian to miss their Sunday pm service to watch the Super Bowl. They don't lose their salvation, they don't lose their anointing, and say what you want there's a chance they could be in a mansion next to you in heaven. Oh yes, that is an absolute possibility.

Sincerely,

Less anointed & holy because I didn't go to church last night.
Acts-celerater
2/3/14 1:13 pm

Post Just a layman
Ahhhhhhhh, I almost forgot about the annual I love Jesus more than you do because we have church and you watch a football game debate. GOOD TIMES, you can count on it every year. Acts-celerater
2/3/14 3:31 pm

Post Re: What's FUNNY...... krista
Purplebarney wrote:
Is that it sounds like if you miss one Sunday night service ever that you sin against God and somehow you're NOT as holy or anointed as those who attend church EVERY Sunday night including SB Sunday.

What about Churches that have 2 Friday pm services, 4 Sat services, and 3 Sunday am services but not a Sunday pm service. So are they more anointed or holy than those who DON'T have Friday or Sat services?

I realize that the focus is churches who normally have a Sunday pm service canceling and either having a church party or allowing families to get together for the Super Bowl. However, if you're gonna make that argument then you have to discuss the top portion of this post. You're saying Sunday pm services are mandatory even on SB Sunday. Just sayin'. Again, most of this, well actually ALL of it, most likely comes from being raised in a denomination that had church every Sunday am & pm and Wed pm and that tradition eventually became almost like the 11th commandment. I know this because I was raised in it and I used to think the same way. So I understand the logic behind some of these comments. It is ABSOLUTELY possible for a Christian to miss their Sunday pm service to watch the Super Bowl. They don't lose their salvation, they don't lose their anointing, and say what you want there's a chance they could be in a mansion next to you in heaven. Oh yes, that is an absolute possibility.

Sincerely,

Less anointed & holy because I didn't go to church last night.

delete

Last edited by krista on 2/3/14 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/3/14 6:45 pm

Post Cigar? Purplebarney
Where did that come from? I don't smoke cigars. What you should have said was "just drink your red wine and watch the game." THAT is what the truth is. See ya in heaven......hopefully with you being less judgmental. Acts-celerater
2/3/14 7:21 pm

Post More first time guests than ever patrickballington
Held our 6th annual Super Bowl Party Event last night. More first time guests than ever. no one got saved (didn't do the usual "bait and switch" often done by churches pm who promote one thing and invite the community only to surprise them by locking the doors and preaching). However, several enjoyed the time with us and plan to be with us the Wednesday night for children's and youth service and Bible study and again on Sunday where they will come expecting to hear about God and therefore more open and receptive.

Moving people one step closer!

Also, the pastor of the 1st Methodist Church came along with his sons. He is doing all he can to get his very aging church to reach out to unchurched and unsaved but they just resist and don't know how. They are looking to us for ideas and help. He was so inspired after being with us.

While many of you are fussing about DOING church we were busy BEING church. Not a right/wrong either/or decision. I hope all those who have church Sunday morning, night, Wednesday nights and prayer meetings during the week find time to collective reach the lost (and don't fool yourself saying they will come to any of those of services--- statistics and facts will prove otherwise.)
Friendly Face
2/3/14 9:03 pm

Post Patrick 4golf
I preached Sunday morning at a church close to you. The sermon I did, I did some research and found out that 85% of people in White county don't go to church. I applaud that Methodist Brother Pastor for seeking a way to reach souls. It is sad to see a church die a slow death and nobody seems to care. I will keep him in my prayers! Shalom.
2/3/14 11:09 pm

Post Yes! Purplebarney
Great report Patrick. A great idea for sure. Hopefully some of those on this thread bashing will consider doing something like that. Not every Sunday pm service needs to be an old fashioned camp meeting shout fest as was the norm during my upbringing in the COG. We used to never invite our neighborhood or school friends to Sunday pm church until they had been to several Sunday am services because everyone knows that when you bring an unchurched friend to a Pentecostal church on a Sunday pm you can almost always expect a "shout fest" and a service that's not the norm and you end up with a very confused friend. Ha! Come on, don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about. We've all been there. Well, most of us.

I guarantee you that a church can make a Super Bowl party more effective than having a normal service. It's a tremendous opportunity to reach out to those who don't attend church. And......it happens once a year. Geez! Relax!

Just don't ruin it with the "bait & switch". That's TOTALLY not cool!!![/list]
Acts-celerater
2/4/14 12:04 am

Post Re: More first time guests than ever Cojak
patrickballington wrote:
Held our 6th annual Super Bowl Party Event last night. More first time guests than ever. no one got saved (didn't do the usual "bait and switch" often done by churches......................

Most humans despise that. I also refer to it as an ambush. Not fair, and definitely counter productive.

Good report, love it. Smile
2/4/14 12:18 am

Post Now this is how churches grow... W. Ray Williams
By the sharing of knowledge and lessons learned in a free formed and flowing conversation about what works and does not. The willingness to learn and the unpretentiousness of the teacher.

This is what the church needs more. People who are not about protecting thier own rice bowl, but convinced that the Kingdom of God is the last refuge for all mankind.

BTW, we did a SB party at a local wings joint. Had tables right in fron tof the TV.

PSS: It is always easier to integrate visitors into a single service when they come with a congregant or at least are invited by a congregant. The person familiar with your church can bridge the gap.

skinnybishop wrote:
patrickballington wrote:
Think through the next steps of what you want new people to know and what you want them to do. And there should only be 1 -2 options, not a list of options. Then create specific environments for each step.

That is more than we can go into in this format and needs to be specific to your church and ministry DNA. Sounds like you have what I call and "environment gap" meaning people know how to be friendly at the doors and in the introduction phase but uncertain where to point/direct/accompany the new people to from there. If the next step environment is small groups the. The conversation could easily shift to that and your people should be chatting up small groups and how they are designed to meet their spiritual and relational needs and so forth. If it is a new friends lunch or event then that becomes the next flow of conversation.

If the only goal is to get them into church, you got em,...they're there...after "hello my name is___ glad you're here" there little left for the regular person to talk about unless they are gifted with people skills and hospitality.

I agree, you have to arm them questions to discover more about the person and express genuine interest in them. But those questions also need to be in the right environment. Think about it, you don't ask the checkout clerk "tell me a little about yourself" unless you are hitting on her!

You can't force connection, you can creat environments that facilitate connection.

That's the whole point behind our Super Bowl Party.

(Did you catch what I did there? Got us back on point ) Very Happy

Call me and we can brainstorm ideas and develop a strategy and plan that works for you. I LOVE doing this kind of stuff and benefit from it myself every time I help others.

Would love to talk soon. Thanks again. I sincerely appreciate your willingness to share. I honestly don't think our church is that far "off the mark". But an instrument slightly out of tune ruins the whole band. See you soon.

Ray
Acts-celerater
2/4/14 8:07 am

Post Peyton lost the FOG W. Ray Williams
bonnie knox wrote:
Poimen wrote:
Good grief! Some folks act as if Jesus and the disciples themselves had two services on Sunday, plus Sunday School, AND mid-week service too! Shocked Rolling Eyes Laughing

What's worse is that some people are sure He would have watched the Super Bowl. Shocked Apparently He'd be eating chips and knocking back a Bud, too. And betting on the Broncos. (Peyton Manning is His favorite player.)
Except only the totally smashed drunks will bet against Jesus; the sober are always whining that He has an unfair advantage in knowing the future, which is why the suspense never affects Him when the game is close.

Actually Peyton was God's favorite player (he is from the SEC) but he lsot favor with God when he took Tebow's place.

LOL

Ray
Acts-celerater
2/4/14 8:09 am

Post Great quote to consider patrickballington
"The reason a lot of people no longer go to church is because they've been."

Ouch.
Friendly Face
2/4/14 10:01 am

Post Re: Yes! krista
Purplebarney wrote:
Great report Patrick. A great idea for sure. Hopefully some of those on this thread bashing will consider doing something like that. Not every Sunday pm service needs to be an old fashioned camp meeting shout fest as was the norm during my upbringing in the COG. We used to never invite our neighborhood or school friends to Sunday pm church until they had been to several Sunday am services because everyone knows that when you bring an unchurched friend to a Pentecostal church on a Sunday pm you can almost always expect a "shout fest" and a service that's not the norm and you end up with a very confused friend. Ha! Come on, don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about. We've all been there. Well, most of us.

I guarantee you that a church can make a Super Bowl party more effective than having a normal service. It's a tremendous opportunity to reach out to those who don't attend church. And......it happens once a year. Geez! Relax!

Just don't ruin it with the "bait & switch". That's TOTALLY not cool!!![/list]

You are so right Purple. We would NOT want an un-churched friend to see Pentecost. It might really mess them up. Your rational is exactly why many Churches are dying. The Church stops being the Church to make people feel more comfortable. The emphasis on Comfortability, is more important than hearing the Truth. They don't need another football game, they need to hear the truth.
Also, if you think a Superbowl party is more effective than a Church service, you're drinking more than one glass of wine at dinner. The Superbowl has nothing to do with Church, and if you want to talk about "bait&switch", that's what it is.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
2/4/14 11:51 am

Post Re: Great quote to consider Cojak
patrickballington wrote:
"The reason a lot of people no longer go to church is because they've been."

Ouch.

Man does that ever fit in many cases, and IT IS A SHAME! Sad
2/4/14 12:17 pm

Post Link
I'm one of the few American males who cares nothing for the SuperBowl or watching football. I can understand wanting to play it for fun, but watching other people you don't know thrown a ball around and knock each other down, well with all the waiting and commentary, I don't see how it's worth it. I didn't grow up watching it, though. Dad used to like baseball, but realized it ate up too much of his time.

Anyway, if a church I went to did something like that, and I were an attendee, I would probably go to another church that week, reconsider where I as going to church.

I wouldn't call it 'hypocrisy'. I think 4golf really overuses that word. Not all sins are foolishness are hypocrisy. If the preacher said watching the SuperBowl is sin and then did it himself, that would be hypocrisy. It sounds like he's being consistent with his seeker-sensitive way of doing things.
2/6/14 3:01 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.