Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Reverence & Respect in the House of God.

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Reverence & Respect in the House of God. SCFIRE
This is an odd request. But I would like a lesson that you may have already typed out on Reverence & Respect for the House of God.
I'm running with too many irons in the fire right this minute and a little help would be deeply appreciated.
I've looked & googled & just can't find what I am looking for.
Nothing deep, just plain & simple.
Thanks.
10/25/13 8:47 pm

Post question Tracy S Hamilton
Are you talking about the physical building on Sunday's or are you talking about the House of God, which would be us?

From my perspective when I read this I would be talking about "people" being the "house of God" and giving reverence to where the Holy Spirit dwells. Watching what you put in, ie. the things you see, the places you go, maybe even the food you eat.... (Eddie would appreciate that)

Just depends on which way you are going with that.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
10/25/13 9:50 pm

Post SCFIRE
I'm talking about the physical building we gather in when we meet. I'm just thinking mostly on an outline on manners and good behavior.
10/25/13 10:09 pm

Post Phillip Johnson
Perhaps your reference could start with Acts 7:48.

Smile
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
10/25/13 10:44 pm

Post Fear of the Lord Bucky Sitsler
John Bevere's book "Fear of the Lord" is a good place to start. He doesn't necessarily deal with good behavior in the building but being reverent and fearful in the presence of God. Hey, DOC
10/26/13 9:11 am

Post Heres ya a little outline a come across, SC. Old Time Country Preacher
Stewardship in God's House

Mark 11:15-17; John 2:16
On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple area and began driving out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves, and would not allow anyone to carry merchandise through the temple courts. As he taught them, he said, “Is it not written: ‘My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations?’ But you have made it a den of robbers.”
How dare you turn my Fathers house into a market!

All behavior which distracts from the purpose of God’s house should be avoided!!! WHY? God’s house is not a marketplace!!!
1. Unnecessary movement
2. Fretful babies/young children.
3. Misbehaving, talking and passing notes, texting, device demons.
4. Chewing gum, eating/drinking, .

• Jesus said: “How dare you turn my Father’s house into a market.”
God, forgive us for mistreating your house.
Acts-pert Poster
10/26/13 10:14 am

Post Re: Heres ya a little outline a come across, SC. diakoneo
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:

On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple area and began driving out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves, and would not allow anyone to carry merchandise through the temple courts. As he taught them, he said, “Is it not written: ‘My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations?’ But you have made it a den of robbers.”

All behavior which distracts from the purpose of God’s house should be avoided!!! WHY? God’s house is not a marketplace!!!
1. Unnecessary movement

Could I add a 5.?
5. Don't clip your fingernails in church!
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/26/13 10:20 am

Post Some thoughts.... Aaron Scott
Quote:
(Psalms 84:3 KJV) Yea, the sparrow hath found an house, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, even thine altars, O LORD of hosts, my King, and my God.

The House of the Lord should be a place of refuge and comfort. It should be welcoming, not intimidating!

Yes, children must learn how to conduct themselves in church...but there also must be room for a child to be able to be a child. In our small church, I have told the people that the occasional sounds of children is the sound of God raising up a new generation.

I was born into the Church of God. I was the rowdiest kid I ever knew (I still remember getting spanked on the front steps of the Murphy Church of God while "I've Got that Old Time Religion" played inside). I crawled under pews, ran in the sanctuary, and so forth. And I grew to LOVE THE HOUSE OF GOD. Why? Because I had "found an house--even the altars of the Lord."

Some children are naturally well-behaved. They will always act appropriately. Others will, in innocence, break those rules. Yet Jesus said, "Suffer the little children to come unto Me." You can be sure that some of those children were "Church of God" children. Yet Jesus invited them all.

We should take care, I think, not to break a child's spirit regarding his/her actions. We can cause them to build a dislike of the House of God. No, we can't let anything and everything go. But we should discern between children being children and children truly acting incorrectly.

After all, birds act like birds...and yet there is a place for them in the House of the Lord.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/26/13 12:04 pm

Post SCFIRE
Thanks Gentlemen. Your input is greatly appreciated.
10/26/13 10:50 pm

Post Link
SCFIRE wrote:
I'm talking about the physical building we gather in when we meet. I'm just thinking mostly on an outline on manners and good behavior.

There are some passage in the Old Testament that condemn having a 'high place' aside from the temple.

If you are talking about the people who gather as 'the house of God', that makes sense.
10/27/13 12:32 pm

Post Re: Heres ya a little outline a come across, SC. W. Ray Williams
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:

1. Unnecessary movement

I agree with #1, but have a problem with all the rest.

#2 Worship is an activity in which our children need to see us participate. I have no problem with Children's Church and segregating children and adults most of the time, but at times we ned them all together and maybe some families would prefer to have the entire family together as a time of worship. I do agree that children need to learn how to behave, fretful babies and young children should never prevent us from worshipping. If we cannot worship in music, offering, preaching and communion when children are fretful, the problem is with us and not the kids.

#3 I am in agreement with the first part of this but....I am constantly on my device. I use Youversion as my Bible. I rarely take a physical Bible to church. Our church uses the Live Event on Youversion to post the notes, text and "tweetables". I tweet the tweetables during the service. Before starting at Radiate, I would do the same at Pathway even though they did not use that system. I would tweet and Facebook the text, Sermon title, quotes and other stuff from the sermon or songs. I have even been known to post pics of the service. In this new world of connectivity, we are not going to be able to prevent digital connection in church. Will some abuse it, yep. So what!!! Some folks sit and read their Bible, the Bulletin, the Hymn Book or anything else, rather than listen to the sermon. Find ways to make it work for you.

BTW, one of the new things is people fact checking the preacher during the sermon. Make sure and check your facts before climbing into the pulpit.

#4 Is negotiable. Depends on the church and the traditions there. Our church is coffee during the worship service kind of church. I keep my Starbucks cup from the "on the way to church pit-stop" and refill it right before worship. It sits on stage with me right beside my amp.

What you are talking about is tradition and not Scripture. If those are your rules and traditions, OK. But do not try to defend them with Scripture.

Ray
Acts-celerater
10/27/13 7:10 pm

Post John Stevenson
I like what Aaron Scott said. We have children who sometimes get fussy. I just preach right over them. The occasional cell phone going off doesn't bother me either. Maybe somebody honestly forgot to turn it down ?

I have see adults clipping their nails & one person answered their cell phone in the middle of a service....now those things annoy me. Texting doesn't. Because maybe their not texting. Maybe their taking notes?
10/29/13 11:25 am

Post Nick Park
John Stevenson wrote:

I have see adults clipping their nails

Would that be fingernails or toenails?

http://eaiseanchai.wordpress.com/
Acts Enthusiast
10/30/13 12:34 am

Post Link
Be careful preaching against babies being fussy. That's a way to either offend parents or run them off. Telling parents to get their 6 months olds 'in order' or something like that isn't very merciful either.

Other people in church willing to hold and watch babies is a great blessing, assuming these are decent kind, non-creepy people.
10/30/13 2:16 am

Post Cojak
Nick Park wrote:
John Stevenson wrote:

I have see adults clipping their nails

Would that be fingernails or toenails?
ROFL
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/30/13 9:39 am

Post Re: Some thoughts.... Cojak
Aaron Scott wrote:
Quote:
(Psalms 84:3 KJV) Yea, the sparrow hath found an house, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, even thine altars, O LORD of hosts, my King, and my God.

The House of the Lord should be a place of refuge and comfort. It should be welcoming, not intimidating!

Yes, children must learn how to conduct themselves in church...but there also must be room for a child to be able to be a child. In our small church, I have told the people that the occasional sounds of children is the sound of God raising up a new generation.

I was born into the Church of God. I was the rowdiest kid I ever knew (I still remember getting spanked on the front steps of the Murphy Church of God while "I've Got that Old Time Religion" played inside). I crawled under pews, ran in the sanctuary, and so forth. And I grew to LOVE THE HOUSE OF GOD. Why? Because I had "found an house--even the altars of the Lord."

Some children are naturally well-behaved. They will always act appropriately. Others will, in innocence, break those rules. Yet Jesus said, "Suffer the little children to come unto Me." You can be sure that some of those children were "Church of God" children. Yet Jesus invited them all.

We should take care, I think, not to break a child's spirit regarding his/her actions. We can cause them to build a dislike of the House of God. No, we can't let anything and everything go. But we should discern between children being children and children truly acting incorrectly.

After all, birds act like birds...and yet there is a place for them in the House of the Lord.

Amazing, Imma thinking your mind is starting to work right!!! Smile

Seems my comments are just Amen's on this. I do agree and was probably a little more rowdy than you, as a kid. These are some good points. Shocked
10/30/13 9:43 am

Post bigchurchmouse
I have known preachers who almost come unraveled when there is the slightest distraction. I think they need to get a grip. The parents who have a fussy baby probably need the church service more than the other people who are there. Compassion from everyone will go a long way. If there is not a staffed nursery, it is a nice gesture for someone to offer to take the child out to give the parents a much needed break.

Disruptive adults are another story.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
10/31/13 9:27 am

Post Cojak
bigchurchmouse wrote:
I have known preachers who almost come unraveled when there is the slightest distraction. I think they need to get a grip. The parents who have a fussy baby probably need the church service more than the other people who are there. Compassion from everyone will go a long way. If there is not a staffed nursery, it is a nice gesture for someone to offer to take the child out to give the parents a much needed break.

Disruptive adults are another story.

Thumb Up
10/31/13 12:09 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I agree with Aaron. I would only add that the church and pastor ought to at least try to present some kind of order to the lives of unruly kids if possible. They all need to be lovingly and patiently taught how to behave.

Crying babies...that's kind of like someone coughing or sneezing during service. Not a whole lot you can really do to prevent it. Just preach a little louder.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/31/13 12:53 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.