Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Travis J. calls for "No compete clause"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post sonofasoldier
Tom Sterbens wrote:
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Dave Dorsey wrote:
How would this be enforced? Would the Church of God take non-compliant minsters to court for breach of contract and seek the recovery of damages? Because I don't see something like that happening, and if you don't have teeth behind the clause, you're relying solely on the integrity of the man signing it. You'd hope that would be enough, but in the worst of cases it certainly will not be.

I was thinking the same thing Dave.

Christians taking Christians to court - no one wins there.

Yep...Paul's appeal to the court of Rome...that one probably kept him out of heaven!!

Seriously: You know I've always wondered if Paul's writing on the matter (! Cor 6) wasn't somehow related to the very difficult "adjudication" issue when dealing with the problem brother in 1 Cor 5. And especially given the fact that Paul/Saul was previously what we would otherwise call a "prosecutor" for "The Law." And weren't some of Luke's and Paul's writing actually part of a formal record of a court proceeding (appeal to Nero)? (That was a real question, not rhetorical...)

I really need to look into that stuff some more (alas, another matter on a lengthy list of stuff). I'm sure Keith Whitt or another of our resident scholars could shed some light on this stuff.

When Paul appealed to Rome was he taking another Christian to court?
Acts-celerater
3/6/13 7:41 pm

Post Truman Here Truman Smith
We are not to take a Christian to a civil court at any time .

Now in the case we do at sometime we must come to the conclusion that he/she is not a Christian .

In serious matters , if I was mistreated in an unChristian way by someone it would not take me long to come to that conclusion and I would not hesitate to take that dude to a civil court . God Bless . T
Acts Enthusiast
3/8/13 11:36 am

Post Re: Truman Here Dave Dorsey
Truman Smith wrote:
We are not to take a Christian to a civil court at any time .

Now in the case we do at sometime we must come to the conclusion that he/she is not a Christian .

In serious matters , if I was mistreated in an unChristian way by someone it would not take me long to come to that conclusion and I would not hesitate to take that dude to a civil court . God Bless . T

I agree. And to clarify, my question wasn't a doctrinal question about whether or not it was OK to take a Christian to court. It was a practical question about what would be done to enforce a non-compete if and when the rubber met the road.

I think a non-compete is a great idea. I think most ministers would honor it for the sake of their integrity and testimony. But in considering this it's important that we also consider the cases in which a minister's integrity and testimony would not be sufficient. What would we do in those cases? What are we willing to do? What should we be willing to do?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/8/13 11:50 am

Post Dave, Trav and/or Doyle... uthdude2000
Dave Dorsey wrote:
How would this be enforced? Would the Church of God take non-compliant minsters to court for breach of contract and seek the recovery of damages? Because I don't see something like that happening, and if you don't have teeth behind the clause, you're relying solely on the integrity of the man signing it. You'd hope that would be enough, but in the worst of cases it certainly will not be.

Would that reply reciprocal(ly) to Cleveland or said State??

That the COG would not come, say 7 miles down the road, and plant a Mission Church, pay the Pastor (FullTime), all bills, etc... all the while an existing Pastor and COG congregation struggling to meet their bills??

Would/Could said minister/congregation take COG to court for breach of contract and seek recovery...? or am I blowing this out of proportion?
3/8/13 3:55 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.