Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

"Effeminate:" What does I Cor. chapter 6 mean?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post "Effeminate:" What does I Cor. chapter 6 mean? doyle
In one church my Dad was pastoring, there was a young man about my age who was as "sissy" as any boy I had ever met. His Dad was a strong, burly man who made his living as a tree "surgeon;" tough, back-breaking, physical work. He had four daughters and one son and the son was more "sissified" than the girls. If there was ever anyone that fit what I believed the word "effeminate" to mean, he did.

That boy received a ton of taunts at school and though I never said anything to him about it, I didn't hang out with him because I didn't want people to think...you know.

He was faithful in church attendance and I have no doubt that he loved the Lord. And he was bold in his faith telling everybody he knew about Jesus, meaning, he got taunted for that too.

After High School graduation, he joined the Marines, fought bravely in Vietnam, was presented several awards for bravery and when he came home, he took over his Dad's tree surgeon business. He later married a neighbor girl and is today the Father of four or five children with a number of grandchildren.

He never did become a burly man like his Dad. He still talked with a kind of sissy lisp ( in my opinion ) but he also continued to be faithful and supportive of his church.

So, there must be more to the word "Effeminate" used in I Corinthians than being what we may consider as "sissy."

What does your research of that Scripture reveal?

Doyle
writedoyle@yahoo.com
8/27/12 10:19 am

Post As I understand it Poimen
A sissy in the more sexual sense of the word -- dude acts like a lady, homosexual Shocked

** Think of the "shudo" in Samurai era Japan, etc. **

The "receiving" male partner in a homosexual encounter.
Hence a "soft" male, or effeminate.

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/27/12 10:41 am

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post Nature Boy Florida
Aerosmith sang a song "dude looks like a lady".

Was Steven Tyler using that verse as his scriptural reference?
8/27/12 11:03 am

Post fortheleastofthese
In my opinion, the best way to understand the 1st century use of the word "Malakia" is to find out what other Greeks thought it meant. Let's look at what some gentiles thought about "malakia" men in the first Century. We might disagree with this today, but...it is what it is!!!

These English translations of popular Greek works can be found here on the Wikipedia overview of the word. Wiki is not my resource of choice, but I found these links interesting:

"To the Greeks, men could be made either manly or effeminate. The Socrates character in Plato's The Republic observed that "too much music effeminizes the male";[2] "…when a man abandons himself to music to play upon him and pour into his soul as it were through the funnel of his ears those sweet, soft (malakos), and dirge-like airs of which we were just now speaking…".[3] Music softens the high spirit of a man but too much 'melts and liquifies' that spirit making him into a feeble warrior. For Socrates, the guardians must be trained right "lest the habit for such thrills make them more sensitive and soft (malakoteroi) than we would have them."[4]

This might explain away strange music ministers!!! Sorry, that was a cheap shot!

Aristotle writes that "Of the dispositions described above, the deliberate avoidance of pain is rather a kind of softness (malakia); the deliberate pursuit of pleasure is profligacy in the strict sense."[5]; "One who is deficient in resistance to pains that most men withstand with success, is soft (malakos) or luxurious, for luxury is a kind of softness (malakia); such a man lets his cloak trail on the ground to escape the fatigue and trouble of lifting it, or feigns sickness, not seeing that to counterfeit misery is to be miserable."[5] and "People too fond of amusement are thought to be profligate, but really they are soft (malakos); for amusement is rest, and therefore a slackening of effort, and addiction to amusement is a form of excessive slackness."[6]

A writer of the peripatetic school (c. 1st century BC or AD) elaborated a little more on Aristotle by labeling effiminacy as a vice. He writes that "Cowardice is accompanied by softness (malakia), unmanliness, faint-heartedness."[7] It was also a concomitant of uncontrol: "The concomitants of uncontrol are softness (malakia) and negligence."[8]

It had educational implications for the Greek paideia. Pericles in his famous Funeral Oration said that the Athenians "cultivate… knowledge without effeminacy (malakia)".[9] This statement and idea of education without effeminacy was visible in the educational philosophies of Victorian England and 19th century America.

Effeminacy in Ancient Greece had political implications as well. The presence or absence of this character in man and his society determined if his society was free or slavish. The Greeks applied this term to the Asiatics because they always lived under tyranny.[10] To the Greeks, however, their own self-government was seen as a product of their manliness (see The Kyklos).

Herodotus recounted an incident that happened in Asia Minor. This was an appeal from King Croesus, the king of Lydia to the Persian King. The Persian king wanted to kill all the males to keep them from revolting and what the defeated king proposed was to inculturate softness in order to make the people docile and servile; effeminacy was seen as the mark of a slave. These men are to be softened.

But let the Lydians be pardoned; and lay on them this command, that they may not revolt or be dangerous to you; then, I say, and forbid them to possess weapons of war, and command them to wear tunics under their cloaks and buskins on their feet, and to teach their sons lyre-playing and song and dance and huckstering (the word "retail" in one translation). Then, O King, you will soon see them turned to women instead of men; and thus you need not fear lest they revolt.[11]

The Greek idea of mechanical trades as incurring effeminacy of their laborers was spoken by Xenophon:

Men do indeed speak ill of those occupations which are called handicrafts, and they are rightly held of little repute in communities, because they weaken the bodies of those who make their living at them by compelling them to sit and pass their days indoors. Some indeed work all the time by a fire. But when the body becomes effeminate the mind too is debilitated. Besides, these mechanical occupations (banausos) leave a man no leisure to attend to his friends' interests, or the public interest. This class therefore cannot be of much use to his friends or defend his country. Indeed, some states, especially the most warlike, do not allow a citizen to engage in these handicraft occupations.[11]

The Greeks tended to see things in totality, as opposed to compartmentalizing their thought. If the body was weak and soft, the sentiment went, the mind is weak and soft, thereby tending to a man who was effeminate. Everything: food, sleeping habits, clothing, labors, work, education, and music affected the character of a man. The excess or deficiency in any of these either made the man effeminate or manly. (see Golden Mean)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malakia
Acts Enthusiast
8/27/12 11:45 am

Post Link
I agree with Poimen's assessment.

Looking up usages of the words, the Greeks used it for someone who wasn't manly enough, but it seems they used it for a catamite as well.

A catamite, someone who is someone else's 'punk' if it is in a prison context.
8/27/12 11:49 am

Post Daniel Rushing
Whether we like it or not- the practice of homosexuality was not necessarily viewed as an abomination in Roman culture... that is as long as you were the "giver' and not the "taker." "Givers" were considered dominant males, "takers" were considered effeminate, and shamed.

From what I understand, this word that Paul uses is for "takers." Now I don't know where that leaves us in regards to a Pauline understanding of homosexuality as a sin (however, I think Romans 1 would clear up any confusion). But, I think, in this context Paul is referring specifically to those were used as objects of intercourse by other more dominant males.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
8/27/12 2:23 pm

Post Ventureforth
I also tend to agree with Poimen's description. I'm no expert on the history of biblical times, but I would guess though that many of those who acted effeminate were assumed to be what Daniel Rushing described as "givers." Similar to more contemporary times when those who acted what would be considered effeminate to some would be labeled gay, as Doyle's story illustrates. Happened in my High School constantly.
I wonder how much damage has been done by and incorrect response to an incorrect interpretation of the word. Regardless of how you interpret the word, we should act in Christian love.
Acts-celerater
8/27/12 3:49 pm

Post Daniel Rushing
Ventureforth wrote:
I'm no expert on the history of biblical times, but I would guess though that many of those who acted effeminate were assumed to be what Daniel Rushing described as "givers."

Actually, effeminate males would be "takers." In Greek culture, there was no negative perception of a man who dominated another man sexually. The male who was submissive was shamed.
8/27/12 4:11 pm

Post As I understand it ... Poimen
Daniel Rushing wrote:
Now I don't know where that leaves us in regards to a Pauline understanding of homosexuality as a sin (however, I think Romans 1 would clear up any confusion). But, I think, in this context Paul is referring specifically to those were used as objects of intercourse by other more dominant males.

Paul addresses the dominate sexual partner as well, when he lists right after effeminate "abusers of themselves with mankind". Clearly Paul is here condemning all sexual perversion, including homosexuality.

Quote:
1 Corinthians 6:9
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, ...

Singing: "Let us then be true and faithful -- trusting, serving, everyday. Just one glimpse of Him in glory will the toils of life repay."
8/27/12 5:10 pm

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post Re: As I understand it ... Daniel Rushing
Poimen wrote:
Daniel Rushing wrote:
Now I don't know where that leaves us in regards to a Pauline understanding of homosexuality as a sin (however, I think Romans 1 would clear up any confusion). But, I think, in this context Paul is referring specifically to those were used as objects of intercourse by other more dominant males.

Paul addresses the dominate sexual partner as well, when he lists right after effeminate "abusers of themselves with mankind". Clearly Paul is here condemning all sexual perversion, including homosexuality.

Quote:
1 Corinthians 6:9
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, ...

Indeed. Point taken.
8/27/12 8:57 pm

Post Ventureforth
Quote:
Actually, effeminate males would be "takers." In Greek culture, there was no negative perception of a man who dominated another man sexually. The male who was submissive was shamed.

Ok, I see where I used the wrong word when referring to your post. But I guess I'm a little confused, then. The dominant were the givers and the weak, soft man was the taker? Taking is an aggressive action. Unless you're saying that they were creating perceptions or spinning the story, switching the labels, so to speak, to avoid shame.

Poimen, I noticed that also. NIV says "homosexual offenders" but in any case it does give a little context to the preceding. Both roles are mentioned.

Didn't want to linger on this topic too long, But I do think it's important to get a proper understanding, especially in light of current issues and events.
Acts-celerater
8/27/12 9:11 pm

Post chainrattler
Ventureforth wrote:
Quote:

Ok, I see where I used the wrong word when referring to your post. But I guess I'm a little confused, then. The dominant were the givers and the weak, soft man was the taker? Taking is an aggressive action. Unless you're saying that they were creating perceptions or spinning the story, switching the labels, so to speak, to avoid shame.

Poimen, I noticed that also. NIV says "homosexual offenders" but in any case it does give a little context to the preceding. Both roles are mentioned.

Didn't want to linger on this topic too long, But I do think it's important to get a proper understanding, especially in light of current issues and events.

Giver as in "Who's on top?" and taker as "who is receiving, being penetrated".

I read once that this was a common practice in war, where the winning army would rape the defeated men to humiliate them in their defeat.
Acts-celerater
8/27/12 9:27 pm

Post Ventureforth
I guess I shouldn't have asked. Shocked That's more than enough information for me. Smile Acts-celerater
8/27/12 9:40 pm

Post Daniel Rushing
Yep. There's no decent way to talk about it! Roman culture saw sexuality on a sliding scale- dominant men were on the high end of the scale, effeminate men were on the low end, and in the middle were women and non-dominant men.

Men high on the scale had sex with females and effeminate men. Women and men in the middle of the scale had normal heterosexual relationships. Armies would often rape their enemies after a defeat to shame them. In some Arabic cultures, it is still a sign of male dominance. There's a scene in the movie "The Kite Runner" which shows this act among a rival gang of young boys. It was not considered shameful as long as you were the dominant giver.

But, as Poimen pointed out, this text would seem to cover both groups. Notice, Paul does have to distinctly mention both ends of the spectrum- because he knew his Corinthian audience would need that distinction.
8/27/12 9:51 pm

Post chainrattler
And how does this work out with Jesus' and Paul's instructions about gentleness, the fruit of the Spirit, etc. ?

And what about the etymology of the word gentle - man?

Interesting, don't ya think?
Acts-celerater
8/28/12 5:57 am

Post chainrattler
Consider these Scriptures:

Matthew 11:29
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Matthew 11:28-30 (in Context) Matthew 11 (Whole Chapter) Other

Matthew 21:5
“Say to the Daughter of Zion, ‘See, your king comes to you, gentle and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey.’”

Matthew 21:4-6 (in Context) Matthew 21 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations

1 Corinthians 4:21
What do you prefer? Shall I come to you with a whip, or in love and with a gentle spirit?

2 Corinthians 10:1
By the meekness and gentleness of Christ, I appeal to you—I, Paul, who am “timid” when face to face with you, but “bold” when away!

Galatians 5:23
gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
Galatians 5:22-24 (in Context) Galatians 5 (Whole Chapter) Other

Ephesians 4:2
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.

Philippians 4:5
Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.

Colossians 3:12
Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

1 Thessalonians 2:7
but we were gentle among you, like a mother caring for her little children.

1 Timothy 3:3
not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money.

1 Timothy 6:11
But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.

1 Peter 3:4
Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.

But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,
1 Peter 3:14-16

Gentleness seems to be an attribute highly valued in Scripture for men as well as women. Seems to fly in the face of the Roman culture of Jesus' day and before and what the world today considers "manly" and "macho".

It must be tough to go against the current and practice gentleness as a man when the world is screaming at you that the definition of a "real man" is the opposite.

Being gentle doesn't mean you are effeminate or homosexual. Does it?
Acts-celerater
8/28/12 6:05 am

Post Effeminate: What Strong's Concordance says doyle
Effeminate as found in I Corinthians Chapter 6 verse 9: How various translations interpret it:

KJV: "effeminate nor abusers of themselves with mankind."

New KJV: "homosexuals, nor sodomites."

American Standard: "effeminate, nor homosexuals."

Good News Bible" "homosexual perverts."

Amplified Bible: "those who participate in homosexuality."

Orthodox Jewish Bible: "call boys nor homosexuals."

Wycliffe Bible: "neither lechers against kind, they that do lechery with men."

STRONG'S GREEK LEXICON ( 3120 ): mal-ak-os' meaning "of uncertain affinity; soft, i.e. fine (clothing); figuratively, a catamite."

Catamite: "a young partner of gay men: a boy kept by a man for sexual intercourse."
8/28/12 9:26 am

Post Link
How about

'neither homosexual sodomizees, nor homosexual sodomizers'

Does that capture the sense of it without being too graphic or lengthy?
8/28/12 3:22 pm

Post The definitive definition... Aaron Scott
Have you ever seen the Florida Gators football team come sashaying onto the football field acting all FABULOUS?

Or have you ever seen them play their FABULOUS version of football?

If you have, then you know what effeminate is.

Oh, those national championships? Well, what do you expect? Who wanted to TACKLE them???

I just want to be a blessing by adding to this theological debate.
8/28/12 8:17 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.