Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

I know when I was sanctified!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post I know when I was sanctified! otium sanctum
Not wanting to steal a tread, one poster said that he had never heard of anyone who said when they were sanctified. I was sanctified on the last Sunday night of July, 1966. I was baptized in the Holy Spirit on December 17, 1966. So, they may not have heard someone say when they were sanctified but they can say that they read when someone was sanctified.
Thanks for allowing me to testify to the grace that makes holy for it is all of grace and not of works.
Friendly Face
8/8/12 11:00 pm

Post Re: I know when I was sanctified! Link
otium sanctum wrote:
Not wanting to steal a tread, one poster said that he had never heard of anyone who said when they were sanctified. I was sanctified on the last Sunday night of July, 1966. I was baptized in the Holy Spirit on December 17, 1966. So, they may not have heard someone say when they were sanctified but they can say that they read when someone was sanctified.
Thanks for allowing me to testify to the grace that makes holy for it is all of grace and not of works.

How do you know you were sanctified? Did you stop sinning and never sin after that?
8/9/12 12:29 am

Post So do I Otium .. thanks for the testimony Rafael D Martinez
Link wrote:
otium sanctum wrote:

How do you know you were sanctified? Did you stop sinning and never sin after that?

Your question betrays how little you understand of Pentecostal faith, Link.

How really little.

I can remember my date .. it was Friday, December 3, 1982. I finally submitted fully to God's command for me to be holy even as He was holy, forgave my father for the evil he committed against my family, broke at an altar of tears aboard my ship, the U.S.S. Forrestal in the forecastle and was baptized in the Holy Spirit on Wednesday night after FTH at the Jacksonville Beach COG on December 8, 1982.

Crisis event and process. This thing is real. When you are hungry for God and want all He has for you, you do as He commands and give your life to Him completely so He may use you completely. I became a believer in February 12, 1981 but I knew I needed more of Him.

Great testimony, Otium. I am afraid the COG has long been losing our contact with what this should mean to us and as a result, we wring our hands wondering why more of "our people" don't walk in the Spirit, let alone speak with other tongues in initial evidence. Getting sanctified gets the job done.

Even after all, I stand tonight saying I'm still saved, sanctified, and filled with the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in other tongues as the Spirit gives the utterance. I'm pressing on for the higher calling in Christ Jesus and I ain't looking back. No turning back, no turning back ..

Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? Galatians 4:16

These are trying times. Everyone's trying something and getting caught. The Church Lady, 1987

Last edited by Rafael D Martinez on 8/9/12 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Acts-dicted
8/9/12 7:02 am

Post Eddie Robbins
What is the initial evidence of sanctification? Acts-pert Poster
8/9/12 7:08 am

Post Rafael D Martinez
Eddie Robbins wrote:
What is the initial evidence of sanctification?

.. a clean heart that you KNOW is completely HIS, nothing held back

... a set of priorities completely centered upon Christ and His Kingdom

.... a rejection of anything that keeps your eyes off God

..... a love of God and all people whether they abide in Him or not

...... a conscious death to your self on the cross Jesus bids you to carry

....... a longing to loving and please God like nothing else in your life that flames up in genuine, ardorous passion

All of this is in the Practical Commitments.

The Spirit called me to live this out long before I even knew what those were. So when I finally I did, I knew I was on the right path ..

What do you think it is, Eddie?

Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? Galatians 4:16

These are trying times. Everyone's trying something and getting caught. The Church Lady, 1987

Last edited by Rafael D Martinez on 8/9/12 7:31 am; edited 4 times in total
Acts-dicted
8/9/12 7:25 am

Post bigchurchmouse
I think Rafael just gave the best description of santification that I have heard. That is the way I was taught that it happens. I believe that night he truly set himself apart to be totally dedicated to God for His purpose. Salvation takes away the sin but I believe that santification is a separate 'work of grace' as we used to call it.

Someone said that salvation cuts down the tree of sin but santification digs up the roots. It certainly does not mean that one will never sin or miss the mark that God sets but it means that one has set himself apart from sin and therefore God has all set him apart for service.

I understand that many people believe that it is a gradual process and that no one really knows when it happens. Maybe that is true for some people but I believe that many people can 'remember the time and can take you to the place' as the old song used to say. I realize that song was about salvation but I think it applies here also.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
8/9/12 7:26 am

Post Biblical evidences of Sanctification otium sanctum
John 17 gives two of the biblical evidences First, joy (v. 13) and unity (v. 21). That night I was prayed for and the power of God filled me with such joy as was truly indescribable. That is the reason for my pen name Otium sanctum is latin for holy joy. In this moment I lifted my hands and could not take them down for over an hour though I tried. There was a fountain of joy turned loose in my soul. As the old Wesleyan spoke of it I was baptized in love for everyone. I was one with the Father, Son and the Spirit and every brother and sister in Christ.
I Thessalonians 4:3 teaches that sanctification brings about a fleeing from sin - sexual immorality.
No, I cannot say that I have never sinned but I can say that sin always grieves my heart and sanctification causes a repentant attitude to rise and me to return to my first love.
Friendly Face
8/9/12 7:53 am

Post InspiredHillbilly
What a wonderful testimony from these two brothers.... so good to know some still preach and believe in Sanctification... and can testify of that time within their lives. Praise the Lord!

The Greatest Risk... is the Risk of Regret...
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
8/9/12 7:59 am

Post JLarry
I also know when I was sanctified!

Yesterday, the day before and the day before and the day before and the day before. You get the point.

I attempt to live a sanctified life. Well most of the time I do.

Scripture teaches me to "die daily". I will confess there are days I do not die.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.

Last edited by JLarry on 8/9/12 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Acts Mod
8/9/12 8:05 am

Post JLarry
This thread has given me an idea.

When I fill out my ministers report and the question comes up, How many were sanctified, I will use my church's total attendance and a few more that I minister to that do not attend.

Acts Mod
8/9/12 8:08 am

Post sheepdogandy
Is your definition of Sanctification necessary before one can receive the Baptism in the Holy Spirit?

What is your response to those who testify to being baptized in the Holy Spirit without the definite Sanctification experience?

How do you explain those who "get it all in one sitting"?

Is there an example of someone praying for this experience in the New Testament?

These are common questions I have heard over the years. Very Happy

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/9/12 8:09 am

Post JLarry
I am about to go to the hood and crawl under a house and work on some plumbing.

Lord help me to stay Sanctified.

Yesterday was our 43rd wedding anniversary. She has put up with me a long time, Lord help her to stay Sanctified.

Acts Mod
8/9/12 8:28 am

Post Patrick Harris
I don't know the exact date, but I definitely know the night that I got sanctified.
I can take you to the place. It was a 5 week revival (yes, we use to have those) at the Campbellton Church of God in North Carolina, the evangelist was Billy Blackmon, and the Pastor was HB Turlington.

You've go to miss the days in the COG when the phrase: Saved, Sanctified and filled with the Holy Ghost were all one sentence in a testimony.

Thanks
Patrick
Acts Enthusiast
8/9/12 8:38 am

Post Re: So do I Otium .. thanks for the testimony Patrick Harris
Rafael D Martinez wrote:
Link wrote:
otium sanctum wrote:

How really little.

I can remember my date .. it was Friday, December 3, 1982. I finally submitted fully to God's command for me to be holy even as He was holy, forgave my father for the evil he committed against my family, broke at an altar of tears aboard my ship, the U.S.S. Forrestal in the forecastle and was baptized in the Holy Spirit on Wednesday night after FTH at the Jacksonville Beach COG on December 8, 1982.

Crisis event and process. This thing is real. When you are hungry for God and want all He has for you, you do as He commands and give your life to Him completely so He may use you completely. I became a believer in February 12, 1981 but I knew I needed more of Him.

Great testimony, Otium. I am afraid the COG has long been losing our contact with what this should mean to us and as a result, we wring our hands wondering why more of "our people" don't walk in the Spirit, let alone speak with other tongues in initial evidence. Getting sanctified gets the job done.

Even after all, I stand tonight saying I'm still saved, sanctified, and filled with the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in other tongues as the Spirit gives the utterance. I'm pressing on for the higher calling in Christ Jesus and I ain't looking back. No turning back, no turning back ..

Thumb Up Nailed it...
Acts Enthusiast
8/9/12 8:40 am

Post Eddie Robbins
Quote:
What do you think it is, Eddie?

I have no clue. I have seen many a person who were "saved, sanctified and filled with the Holy Ghost" with very little Fruit evident so I am just not sure about all of that.

I tend to think that the Spirit guides me every day when I am willing to listen and it is an every day walk. I can't point back to a day, an event in which I could say....I was sanctified, based on some feeling I had.

Maybe, I was sanctified on July 16, 2009 when I decided that I would change my life and honor God by becoming healthy. Maybe that was the day.
Acts-pert Poster
8/9/12 10:21 am

Post bonnie knox
sheepdogandy wrote:
Is your definition of Sanctification necessary before one can receive the Baptism in the Holy Spirit?

What is your response to those who testify to being baptized in the Holy Spirit without the definite Sanctification experience?

How do you explain those who "get it all in one sitting"?

Is there an example of someone praying for this experience in the New Testament?

These are common questions I have heard over the years. Very Happy

I have those questions, too. I was taught that you had to have a definite experience called sanctification before you could seek to be baptized in the Holy Spirit. So that is what I sought after. There was a particular night that I shed a lot of tears in the altar (I was probably about 11 or 12 years old) which I thought must have been the sanctification experience. I felt blessed of the Lord and thought that must have been "it."
But years later, as I looked at the sripture our church used to justify the doctrine, it did not seem to me to point to a "second, definite, work of grace." For example, the verse which says, "This is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication" was often truncated to "This is the will of God even your sanctification." The truncated form was used to back up the doctrine of "second, definite work." That did not make sense. I think a doctrine has been made of Wesley's personal experience that has been elevated above scripture. I do believe in sanctification, but I don't believe scripture supports it as being a "second, definite work of grace subsequent to salvation" as in a particular event or experience.
It's not something that I think should divide us, and in fact it is not something I ordinarily talk about with people who believe it is a crisis experience. (So I'm sticking my neck out here by saying this.)
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/9/12 12:13 pm

Post Positionally Sanctified Yes, But... FG Minister
I was positionally sanctified when I got saved, but sanctification did not end there - it just got started! Sanctification is a progressive work of grace. Progressive sanctification is the process in a Christian's life in which he or she is made progressively more holy. The word "sanctify" means to "set apart, make holy." Sanctification has three aspects: (1) Positional sanctification, (2) Progressive sanctification, and (3) Ultimate sanctification.

Positional sanctification is the fact that God declares a Christian to be absolutely holy the moment he or she believes in Jesus Christ. When God looks at a Christian, He sees the righteousness and holiness of Christ. Ultimate sanctification is what occurs at death, when a Christian is absolutely and permanently free from the very presence of sin and is perfected in God's sight. 1 John 3:2 describes ultimate sanctification, "Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when He appears, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is." So, progressive sanctification is the process of taking what we are positionally, and what we will be ultimately - and progressively making it reality in our Christian life.

In 1 Corinthians 1:2, the Apostle Paul describes the relationship between positional sanctification and progressive sanctification, "To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy…" Christians are both "sanctified in Christ Jesus" and "called to be holy." The Greek words for "sanctified" and "holy" are from the same root word. A Christian is holy and called to be holy at the same time.

The process of progressive sanctification is described in Galatians 5:19-23. Progressive sanctification is the journey of producing less and less of the acts of the sinful nature (Galatians 5:19-21) and more and more of the fruit of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23). Progressive sanctification is a process empowered by the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 5:18) and enabled through prayer and the study of God's Word. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 tells us, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

The Bible declares, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come" (2 Corinthians 5:17)! Progressive sanctification is the calling of every Christian. We are all called to become more and more like Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 1:15-16 reminds us, "But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy." It should be our goal each and every day to become more set apart for God and His purposes.
Acts-celerater
8/9/12 12:26 pm

Post Bro Bob
I would like to thank the original poster in this thread for not initiating this examination of sanctification in the other thread.

For him, and the other couple or three that do recall a specific event they identify as a 2nd instantaneous work, I would like to ask if that was a one time thing. My own testimony is that I have been saved once. I have received the baptism once. Were you folks sanctified once?
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
8/9/12 2:10 pm

Post Sanctification evidently leaks out doyle
I know when I prayed to be sanctified as is taught in the COG those years ago and surely I must have been because shortly thereafter I received the Baptism of the Holy Ghost.

HOWEVER, it seems that both Sanctification and the Holy Ghost either leak out or have a brief shelf life in the believer. If not, why have so many dropped out on God and they were once "on fire" for God.

Back to Sanctification: While I remember "when" I prayed to be "sanctified," and my heart before God was as pure in motive as anytime ever in my life, if I was instantly Sanctified, why all the struggle with living out a sanctified life?

Not long after praying to be sanctified and receiving the Baptism of the Holy Ghost when I was 18, I was in the altar one night doing everything I could to keep my mind on Jesus instead of a couple of girls who were there. I was afraid lightening would would strike me dead but try and cry as I did, I've never gotten over girls - married a great one.

During a class in Bible School, when we were reading about the Ethiopian Eunuch, one of the girls asked the teacher "Brother Preston, what is a Eunuch?" To which teacher Dan Preston whispered under his breath but I was close enough to hear it, "That's when a man is truly sanctified."

No attempt here to be disrespectful to the topic of Sanctification but prior to the Bible lesson that day, several students had been having a debate over Sanctification and had opened the class about it. The Bible School's denomination taught that Sanctification was the "Second definite work of grace."

I'm OK with the word "definite" and have completely thrown myself upon the grace of God in hopes of a future with Him, but after these many years, it seems that much of the "work" part of that has been delegated by God to us.

I suppose it's similar to that Scripture "Work out your own salvation." For those of us who believe in the importance of a sanctified life, we also now realize that even though we may remember a definite time when we prayed to be sanctified, it's a lifetime of spiritual work.

Doyle
writedoyle@yahoo.com
8/9/12 5:13 pm

Post Re: So do I Otium .. thanks for the testimony Link
Rafael D Martinez wrote:
Link wrote:
otium sanctum wrote:

How really little.

Do you mean the holiness end of the Pentecostal faith?

Not everyone's experience is the same. The crises moment sanctification concept takes certain people's experiences and codifies them into an experience for all believers, without Biblical justification.

I've had similar experiences. I'm sure plenty of people in the AOG, for example, or other Pentecostal churches that don't believe in crisis-moment sanctification have, too. I suppose I could point to one and call it my sanctification experience. If I had a grown up in a tradition that emphasized this, I might have interpreted my experiences that way. I spent more time in the AOG than the COG growing up, and sanctification as a one-time experience wasn't emphasized that I recall in the COG's I went to. What is the Biblical justification for a crisis moment sanctification experience anyway?

Quote:

That's a beautiful thing, and I'm not saying your experience is not genuine. Why do you put the label 'sanctification' on it, though? And Biblically how can you get to the idea that everyone has to have a one-time sanctification experience? What do you do with believers who go through experiences like this more than once in a lifetime?

How does using 'sanctification' for one of these crisis moments in prayer square with Paul's use of the term in I Corinthians 6?
8/9/12 5:39 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Feature Presentations This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.