Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Maybe I'm Too Old Fashion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: Why? Randy Johnson
Bullseye77 wrote:
They were interested in only pleasing God. If there was a hint of a suggestion in the Word of God that something was detrimental to their relationship to God and their influence upon the world, it was abandoned without a backward look.

Not all of them were interested in pleasing God, some of them were interested in controlling the lives of other people. It was a power trip disguised by religious catch-phrases, just as it has been in all of human history. Some certainly were interested in pleasing God, but not all of them.

Why did Paul repeatedly says things like, "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free" and "do not become slaves of men", unless there were those around him that were trying to take away people's freedom in Christ? When Paul said these things, often he was speaking of the Jews who were using "fence laws" to bind the believers in Christ. It is no different today, there are people who can use the language of Zion to tie people up in bondage, and they are very subtle and spiritual sounding as they do it.
Ickesburg, Pennsylvania
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/13/11 10:04 am

Post Eddie Robbins
Quote:
Our predecessors may not have been as well schooled as we are today. They may not have had the command of the Greek language as has been demonstrated by some on this forum. But a discussion like this was un-necessary among them

No, but they had discussions about chewing gum, Cokes, attending ball games, wearing makeup, cutting your hair, wearing panty hose (my Mom was kicked out at age 12 for not wearing panty hose), going to movies, dancing, wearing a wedding ring, etc. So, these discussions happen.
Acts-pert Poster
8/13/11 10:05 am

Post Wine Cheers God? Mark Ledbetter
Randy Johnson wrote:
Daniel Rushing wrote:
Purplebarney wrote:
(Wine is praised; it rejoices God and men (Judges 9:13);

Wine rejoices God?

I know this was spoken in a parable, the words were put in the mouth of a tree, but did those living at that time understand wine to rejoice God?

According to Rabbinic Sources (both the Babylonian and Jerusalem Talmud), the reference to wine bringing joy to Elohim is through the "blessing" offered before the wine is offered.

This tradition continues in synagogues today: "Baruch attah Adonai 'Eloheinu Melech ha'olam; borei p're hagafen." "Blessed are you Adonai our God, King of the universe who brings fruit from the vine."
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
8/13/11 11:16 am

Post Bullseye Purplebarney
I appreciate your post. I guess what I would say to that is this. The subject of alcohol, social drinking, etc....is from what I can gather a practice that is against COG teachings/rules. Please understand, I'm not blasting the COG. As I've said many times, I have a long history, many friends, and much respect for the COG. However, I now believe differently and that is why I'm no longer a member of the COG. My posts come from a non-COG perspective. I can understand how many on this board stand strong for their denomination. They should. But, don't come on here and tell those of us who aren't COG that we're grieving the Spirit or committing sin by drinking alcohol in moderation. First of all, none of us....NONE.....really know if drinking alcohol is a sin or not. We can only have faith in our own interpretation of scripture. The same thing goes for tongues, prophesy, gossiping, gluttony, etc........ I'm not saying you're coming from that perspective but many on here are. It's time to wake up and understand that the COG is a great organization but isn't the ONLY one in existence. Just my thought. Acts-celerater
8/13/11 11:25 am

Post Re: Why? Joshua Henson
Lord Chancellor wrote:
Bullseye77 wrote:
There is no end to this. There is no concensus. There is only continued debate.

There is an end to this- Scripture. It's clear.

It doesn't matter if there is consensus or not. Scripture is clear. Moderate consumption of alcohol is not a sin. Drunkenness is a sin. Consensus will not change that fact.

It doesn't matter if there is continued debate. Disagreement with a fact does not make the fact untrue.

"Whatever happened to the pursuit of holiness?" As far as I know, we're still pursuing it. Moderate consumption of alcohol is not a deterrent to holiness.

Ladies and gentlemen, the issue is settled because LC said so. Twisted Evil

"Moderate consumption of alcohol is not a deterrent to holiness." Where is that in the "Scripture"? You want to talk about making statements that aren't based on Scripture.

That one takes the cake.
www.ecclesialleadership.com
Friendly Face
8/13/11 12:35 pm

Post Re: Why? Joshua Henson
Lord Chancellor wrote:
Joshua Henson wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen, the issue is settled because LC said so. Twisted Evil

"Moderate consumption of alcohol is not a deterrent to holiness." Where is that in the "Scripture"? You want to talk about making statements that aren't based on Scripture.

That one takes the cake.

No, Josh.

The issue is settled because SCRIPTURE says so. Period. It doesn't matter who disagrees. Disagreement will not change the fact.

And since it is not sinful, it cannot and does not detract from nor deter holiness, in and of itself. Abuse and drunkenness do, but not the mere consumption of it.

ahh...nevermind.
www.ecclesialleadership.com
Friendly Face
8/13/11 1:48 pm

Post Amen! Purplebarney
Drinking a glass or two of wine has nothing to do with holiness. Have no idea where that idea came from. Not from scripture that's for sure. Acts-celerater
8/13/11 4:28 pm

Post Re: Amen! steel
Purplebarney wrote:
Drinking a glass or two of wine has nothing to do with holiness. Have no idea where that idea came from. Not from scripture that's for sure.

As that saying goes, "Grandma taught it and we bought it."
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
8/14/11 9:20 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic