Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Why do people run in Pentecostal services?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post I do like to walk when moved on by the Spirit Rafael D Martinez
I am demonstrative, I do shout, kneel, weep. But I have never run.

It has always seemed that to run in church is always in the context of worship. Worship is a holy thing done unto God by brothers and sisters in Christ so one had better be very careful before you speak of it .. and I do respect the infinite variety of worship offered to Him by those within and without our fellowships.

My take on it is that it is an exuberant exertion of one's physical body that you just feel led to do as you approach God in praise and worship. Loving God with the body, with moving feet, with clapping hands, etc. is perfectly in order. The "pogoing" or jumping up and down that you see among a lot of Charismatics and younger believers is likewise.

My only real concern about this would be how I'd feel about any other feature of worship. The Pentecostal culture we are in has sensitized us more to feel free to give in to demonstrative physicality in our worship, so we do so .. but obviously, as we have shared, there are times when this kind of worship is more of an orchestrated thing that is done out of a bandwagon spirit: one person runs up to the front and then everyone does. While that's not an issue with me to see people respond to others (honestly, it can and often is a wonderful congregational release for openness to God's Spirit), there are times I've seen it become little more than a mosh pit for Jesus that's there to excite and pump up, with little real focus on Him and His work.

I may never run, but I surely do thank God for the freedom to do so if I so chose. I thank God for the freedom the Church of God has given to this aspect of worship. Nothing against any other evangelical church anywhere else whatsoever because I know I'd be as secure in Christ there, but there's no place like our fellowship where such abandonment to God can be experienced and offered to Him.

Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? Galatians 4:16

These are trying times. Everyone's trying something and getting caught. The Church Lady, 1987
Acts-dicted
3/9/11 9:38 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
What I find sad about this thread are the ones who act like anyone who runs is hyper-emotional, must have been manipulated from the pulpit, or is a little stupid. It really bothers me that COG men who fill the pulpit could feel that way.

Thanks for respecting those who worship this way, Raf.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
3/9/11 11:12 pm

Post sonofasoldier
They run to get away from the tamborine. They jerk when they can't out run it. Acts-celerater
3/10/11 7:34 pm

Post Larry Wiley
2ndgeneration wrote:
Quote:
There use to be a pastor named Bob Snoderly who would dance in the aisles at campmeeting, General Assembly, or in the local church. When the music would stop he would stop dancing and go to his seat praising God. Someone asked him one day, "Bob, why do you stop dancing when the music stops?" He responded, "Do you think the Holy Ghost can't hear?"

I happen to know how you know this.

Bob's wife Beverly and my mother-in-law were sisters.

Bob went to heaven in 2001 after working a full day remodeling a house. He came home ate dinner lay on his bed and died.

Bob had more faith than any man I have ever personally known. He and I were doing some carpentry work, he cut his hand with a skill saw. I offered to take him to the hospital he said I will just wrap it up and pray. He did not go to a Dr. and his had healed miraculously.
4/13/11 3:25 pm

Post Revival Moves(L) famousflavius
Now here is some new revival moves for the next Perry Stone meeting

http://youtu.be/b7KYAVIOAMI
Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
4/13/11 8:54 pm

Post Cojak
Larry Wiley wrote:
2ndgeneration wrote:
Quote:
There use to be a pastor named Bob Snoderly who would dance in the aisles at campmeeting, General Assembly, or in the local church. When the music would stop he would stop dancing and go to his seat praising God. Someone asked him one day, "Bob, why do you stop dancing when the music stops?" He responded, "Do you think the Holy Ghost can't hear?"

I happen to know how you know this.

Bob's wife Beverly and my mother-in-law were sisters.

Bob went to heaven in 2001 after working a full day remodeling a house. He came home ate dinner lay on his bed and died.

Bob had more faith than any man I have ever personally known. He and I were doing some carpentry work, he cut his hand with a skill saw. I offered to take him to the hospital he said I will just wrap it up and pray. He did not go to a Dr. and his had healed miraculously.

I like that Larry! Good testimony. The dancing Sounds like Shouting Sam Jones of NC.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/13/11 10:05 pm

Post 2 Chron 23:12-heard noise of the people running & praisi doyle
There is a very good discussion going on about why some people run during Pentecostal worship. Rafael is doing a great job of hosting that thread of discussion. Some of the posters have some unique insight about it.

The thread prompted me to do some research and it was surprising to find several Scriptures all the way back in the Old Testament where people were praising God and running.

So, I went to biblegateway.com and put the word "Run" in the King James Version slot. I like other translations too but didn't have time to research them all.

From these Scriptures I can see how a Pastor could organize a sermon around the running theme. Maybe have staff wear their running or jogging suits or possibly show a video clip about champion runners or a clip from the Chariots of Fire.

See if the High School Track Team would attend a feature presentation about running.

Following are some running Scriptures I selected from which Pastors could possibly develop a sermon:

Leviticus 15:2
"When any man hath a running issue out of his flesh..."

Ah, maybe Leviticus 15:2 might not work well in a sermon after all Smile.

2 Kings 4:22
"Send me... that I may run to the man of God."

2 Chronicles 23:12
"Now when Athaliah heard the noise of the people running and praising the king, she came to the people into the house of the LORD."

Psalm 18:29
"For by thee I have run through a troop; and by my God have I leaped over a wall."

Proverbs 18:10
"The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe."

Isaiah 40:31
"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

Joel 2:7
They shall run like mighty men..."

Habakkuk 2:2
"Write the vision and make it plain upon tablets so he may run that reads it."

Matthew 28:8
“And they departed quickly from the sepulcher with fear and great joy; and did run to bring his disciples word.”

Mark 9:15
“And straightway all the people, when they beheld him, were greatly amazed, and running to him saluted him.”

Mark 10:17
“And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?”

John 20:2
“Then she runneth, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the LORD out of the sepulcher, and we know not where they have laid him.”

1 Corinthians 9:24
“Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.”

1 Corinthians 9:26
“I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air...”

Galatians 5:7
“Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth?”

Hebrews 12:1
“Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us."

Doyle
writedoyle@yahoo.com
4/13/11 10:30 pm

Post I've been unbelievably busy the past three weeks Rafael D Martinez
having to handle a tragic and unexpected death in my family and my mom's recent medical procedure .. I've had to run in and out of Chicago twice in the past two weeks. The gas alone about bankrupt me ..

I am glad you resurrected the thread, Doyle. I wanted to get back to this but just got preoccupied. I am working overtime and getting ready to officiate at a wedding in the area so I don't know how much time I'll have.

These are trying times. Everyone's trying something and getting caught. The Church Lady, 1987
Acts-dicted
4/14/11 7:07 am

Post Eddie Robbins
I am a runner. I have only been a runner for about 18 months. I believe in it. It is a form of worship for me. In fact, Pentecostal worship sometimes breaks out while I run. I thank God for the strength He has given me to run and and feel a self satisfaction about going through the months of training that allows me to run. I ran 5.5 miles without stopping yesterday, for example. I hope that everybody who is physically able will become runners. I am a believer!! Run!! Acts-pert Poster
4/14/11 7:26 am

Post Re: Why do people run in Pentecostal services? spartanfan
Rafael D Martinez wrote:
My mother's earliest memories of a Pentecostal service she was taken to, she remembers people running. One of my first and most indelible ones was of an old man running laps in a Charismatic church in Jacksonville way back in 1981 at a rather sedate time of worship. Since then, I've always noted it. It happens quite frequently at South Cleveland COG.

This is not a thread I've created to bash the practice. Postmodernists on a campaign to call for its suppression are not what I want to hear from.

I can and have, in the Spirit, shouted, wept, raised hands, been slain, laid hands, anointed with oil, knelt, spake in tongues, prophesied and even interpreted tongues, discerned spirits, etc. I have walked during times of worship and intercession .. but never run. Guess maybe walking is leading up to running, but I've never gone that far. The only running I do is at the Y three times a week and maybe the Greenway now and then, but not in what I think is supposed to be an act of worship. I just have never felt "the release" to take off.

Maybe I'm answering my question, but I'd like to hear views on why people run in church .. and uh, respectful ones? thanks ..

Is this a precedent? You have the hand of God (meaning Spirit of God) resting so powerfully upon the servant of YHVH that he literally outruns the fastest chariot in Israel: Elijah told King Ahab, "Get ready for rain!" And the prophet went up on the mountain and prayed down a mighty thunderstorm, ending the drought. Then the Spirit of God fell upon him - and Elijah outran Ahab's chariot for sixteen miles, back to the palace in Jezreel!

Looks to me like the Holy Spirit can inspire (for reasons God only knows why) someone to run. He inspires us to do a lot of things. I wouldn't poke fun at those who run and wouldn't worry about "wild fire" - there are enough old wet blankets around the church to take care of that!
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
4/14/11 9:14 am

Post Siren runners famousflavius
I heard a story of a Siren Runner at a meeting. The church had a sloped floor to one side of the sanctuary that lead downstairs to the fellowship hall. Well, this guy was making a siren noise and took off running with his eyes closed. He ran around the edge of the sanctuary and eventually going down the ramp. As he disappeared from view you could still hear the siren noise, then suddenly, a big whap! He ran smooth into that door at the end of the ramp an knocked himself out. The service went on without a hitch. Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
4/14/11 7:09 pm

Post chapstick
The only time I run in church is to be first in line to the potluck....or if I have a case of them diarreas. Hey, DOC
4/14/11 9:28 pm

Post michaelb
I know people who say that it's all just emotionalism... and I would tend to agree. But what's wrong with that?!! As LC said, we get emotional about a football game, why not the awesomeness of a Mighty God who has...(fill in the blank with whatever makes you happy about Him). We are told to Love him with all our heart soul mind and strength. I take that to mean with every part of me and that would include my emotions. And just like with any other aspect of life, sometimes emotions indeed CANNOT be controlled... so embrace it. But here I mean something different than to Indulge in it. Many pentecostals end up indulging in their emotions(doing it because it feels good so letting it escalate because that just feels better) and it becomes more about the emotion than the worship, and they draw attention to themselves which, whether they mean to or not, is unproductive.

When i was a kid at Eastern NC campmeeting, a man was running and fell into a metal chair. He got up with his head bleeding and the usher helped him out the side door. Does that mean it wan't "real"? No, it was a real emotion. I don't think the HS tells us to run, shout or whatever. But we should be free to express those emotions to God, just like we should be free to express our emotions of love to our spouse. To supress them is detrimental to the relationship.
Friendly Face
4/15/11 10:51 am

Post Eddie Robbins
Quote:
As LC said, we get emotional about a football game

I've never seen anybody but players run at a football game. Very Happy

It's also in order to sit quietly and be attentive to what the Spirit has to say. They sit quietly at the symphony. How much more should we honor God Almighty with our reverence?

Just making a comparison with the illustration.

Bottom line....who cares what they do at the football game or the symphony?
Acts-pert Poster
4/15/11 11:07 am

Post running can be literally amazing .. Rafael D Martinez
During the second Sunday morning service we had at South Cleveland a couple weeks ago, the Spirit of God began to really move and he powerfully worked upon a brother and his wife, who were sitting to my left and in front of me. I usually sit to the right side of the church and in the second row so as to be ready to help in the altars.

They are a young couple and just recently joined SCCOG - pleasant and friendly saints who we're glad to have with us. She's a petite young lady and he's a bit taller. I'd never seen him get in the Spirit before and when he did, he did something I'd never seen before in a Pentecostal church as he began to run.

As South Cleveland thundered with jubilant praise, with a whoop and a blur of fabric, this young brother took off on a blazing dash to the left away from me. I was looking right in his direction when it happened and could not help but notice that the blur was his suit coat that he plucked off of him and somehow, someway, threw straight into the air a good twenty feet into the air. It was like a tawny missile going straight up in the air. I couldn't help but gape as it soared straight up and the choir was jamming.

And then without missing a beat, his wife took one step forward, even as her husband was doing his first turn around the pews, and reached out and caught it deftly on one arm as it came down and stepped back into worship. Her grace and poise and presence of mind was astonishing. I simply could not believe I saw this. The service went on and the brother did another lap around before returning to his seat praising God.

Talk about divine order!

I know what you're saying .. you think I made this up. The whole church saw it and brother Thomas Propes made a point of memorably noting it before preaching. He said he had never seen anything like it before.

There's nothing quite like running in a Pentecostal church service.

Last edited by Rafael D Martinez on 4/16/11 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Acts-dicted
4/16/11 10:44 am

Post I only run three times a week Rafael D Martinez
Eddie Robbins wrote:
I am a runner. I have only been a runner for about 18 months. I believe in it. It is a form of worship for me. In fact, Pentecostal worship sometimes breaks out while I run. I thank God for the strength He has given me to run and and feel a self satisfaction about going through the months of training that allows me to run. I ran 5.5 miles without stopping yesterday, for example. I hope that everybody who is physically able will become runners. I am a believer!! Run!!

at the Y and that's only 30 min each time, but I hit the crosstrainer afterwards or the pool for another 30 min. I try and try to hit it 5 times a week and just can't find the time.

But I've never run in a Pentecostal abandon .. I've danced and been slain more than anything else but never have run.

Acts-dicted
4/16/11 10:47 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Quote:
As LC said, we get emotional about a football game

I've never seen anybody but players run at a football game. Very Happy

It's also in order to sit quietly and be attentive to what the Spirit has to say. They sit quietly at the symphony. How much more should we honor God Almighty with our reverence?

Just making a comparison with the illustration.

Bottom line....who cares what they do at the football game or the symphony?

Completely agree.
4/16/11 11:32 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic