Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

My husband is a Househusband. Is this wrong?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: What? SKT
Porpoise Driven Neptune wrote:
SKT wrote:

Paul said: "For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat. For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies. Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread."

While I don't disagree that doing what's needed around the house is also work, the word 'work' in this passage carries "the predominant idea of working for pay." (Thayer's Lexicon for 'ergazomai' - work)

If we are going to apply this Scripture then it should apply equally to women. So, SKT, are you seriously arguing that housewives should not eat because they are not (by your defintion) working?

Of course even a brief reading of Paul's words in context shows that he is saying people should work rather than cause mischief through idleness. This Scripture has nothing to do with the subject of whether the man or the woman brings home the bacon.

You should've finished reading what I wrote:

SKT wrote:
So, as I read the passage, the husband, as head of the woman (incidentally, some translate 'kephale' [head] as 'source'), is to give himself to the nourishing (physical provision) and maturing (spiritual provision) of his wife with utmost tenderness and care.

I'm not going to enter a debate with you on this topic, PDN. It is a non-essential.
Hey, DOC
3/15/06 7:26 am

Post Re: What? Porpoise Driven Neptune
SKT wrote:
SKT wrote:

Paul said: "For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat. For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies. Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread."

While I don't disagree that doing what's needed around the house is also work, the word 'work' in this passage carries "the predominant idea of working for pay." (Thayer's Lexicon for 'ergazomai' - work)

If we are going to apply this Scripture then it should apply equally to women. So, SKT, are you seriously arguing that housewives should not eat because they are not (by your defintion) working?

Of course even a brief reading of Paul's words in context shows that he is saying people should work rather than cause mischief through idleness. This Scripture has nothing to do with the subject of whether the man or the woman brings home the bacon.

You should've finished reading what I wrote:

SKT wrote:
So, as I read the passage, the husband, as head of the woman (incidentally, some translate 'kephale' [head] as 'source'), is to give himself to the nourishing (physical provision) and maturing (spiritual provision) of his wife with utmost tenderness and care.

I'm not going to enter a debate with you on this topic, PDN. It is a non-essential.

I did finish reading what you wrote. I was not commenting on the second part of your post but rather on the misuse of 2 Thessalonians 3.

There are many things that are non-essentials, but when we post them on this board we should not be surprised if someone responds to, or even disagrees with our post.

Stay Blessed!
Acts-celerater
3/15/06 8:24 am

Post Re: What? SKT
There are many things that are non-essentials, but when we post them on this board we should not be surprised if someone responds to, or even disagrees with our post.

Stay Blessed!

I'm not surprised in the least. I knew that my 'feedback' would be criticized to some degree. I mistakenly thought, though, that the original poster actually wanted to hear others' POVs. I should have kept to myself.
Hey, DOC
3/15/06 8:33 am

Post Re: My husband is a Househusband. Is this wrong? throughtheflood
WOW....keep'um barefoot and pregnant. Seriously though, in the area where I live the unemployment rate is very high. Work can not be found for able bodied or not individuals. Anyone who has work is blessed. I worked for years carrying my husband on insurance so that he could work full time in ministry. He was compensated but had no benefits, at least on this earth. Then when I came home from work, I would assist him in what ever was going on at the time in the church. This was not a unique situation but one that is carried out by many couples on a daily basis. So if you go by "jobs" does that mean he only had "one" job and I had "two" jobs? So I was head of household and not in the "best" situation? Oh wait, I wasn't paid for the work I did after I came home from "my" job".....at least not on this earth. It would be wonderful if everyone only needed one paycheck to live. Those day are long gone for most of us. I, at times, have also had to be the sole breadwinner for a season. I very well know the chain of command; Christ, my husband, my family, and I fit in somewhere next. We work together in love and service to God. There is no struggle for who is to be the leader. RFTC, what a lovely opportunity for you and your husband to get to be on an extended honeymoon. Enjoy it!!! Acts-celerater
3/15/06 10:00 am

Post SKT - I think you misunderstand me RaceForTheCure
Quote:
Silly me. I thought you would consider the answers I gave as they were intended - giving hope of something MORE! That's not to say that what you have isn't good. It probably is. Don't you still want more? I'm glad you're excited to pick up your husband. There's still more than that to be had!

I thought you were actually asking questions and wanted genuine feedback. Looking for affirmation is fine. Just be honest with what you desire so that people know where you're coming from.

Incidentally, "Being happy... doesn't seem to me to be correct OR incorrect - it's just the way it is" was exactly my point when I said, "One's happiness has little to do with correctness."

I guess it's silly me actually................I thought we have having a two way conversation. I was merely replying to you with my thoughts. I WAS asking questions and I DID want genuine feedback and thought I was giving you some GENUINE feedback in return.
Just to clarify - I wasn't looking for affirmation - my husband and I have no plans to change our current arrangement regardless of what feedback I get from this question. I simply wondered what the societal opinions were of an arrangement like this.
If I offended you I'm sorry - I thought we were in this for good natured conversation / dabate. Smile
Have some fun!
And I know He watches me
Get to know me and my wonderful family.
Rona
http://www.picasaweb.google.com/facesofwls
Acts Mod
3/15/06 12:56 pm

Post throughtheflood - great sentiment! RaceForTheCure
Quote:
RFTC, what a lovely opportunity for you and your husband to get to be on an extended honeymoon. Enjoy it!!!

You put into words exactly how this feels. I hadn't thought of it. I feel young again!! It's GREAT!
And I know He watches me
Rona
Acts Mod
3/15/06 12:58 pm

Post Re: throughtheflood - great sentiment! Phil Hoover
Quote:

You put into words exactly how this feels. I hadn't thought of it. I feel young again!! It's GREAT!

Girlfriend, YOU ARE YOUNG!

You might as well enjoy it...

Phil Hoover
Chicago

www.philhoover-chicago.blogspot.com
Acts-pert Poster
3/24/06 12:19 pm

Post Re: My husband is a Househusband. Is this wrong? arcticgolfer1
I think it is entirely wrong. It sounds like he is completely domesticated. If I'm wrong I'm sorry. The man is to be out in front not doing dishes daily. I am all for helping out, but staying home for a man is just totally going against his own nature, that he once had, but most forfeit that to become domesticated.
3/24/06 5:42 pm

Post Barefoot and pregnant? Hey - who ate the apple ???? c6thplayer1
bye. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
3/24/06 7:15 pm

Post I'm a Househusband kyeagle
Unfortunately, I'm a member of that club.

About 1 month before our wedding last June, I was downsized.

My wife has a good job at the Postal service working the evening shift. Good paying jobs are hard to find around here and if I would have been so lucky finding a job working 8-5, we wouldn't have had any time together.

This way, we've had almost a year to get to know each other. I do most of the cooking and the laundry and help keep the house clean. I also have a garden.

This is not a permanent situation. Next month, I'll be starting at the Post office, working 3rd shift on a Temporary basis, and hopefully, soon I'll be able to land a full time job. One day, she'll be home with the children and I'll be earning the income.

As long as both people are happy, and there is mutual respect then what difference does it make.
Friendly Face
3/24/06 10:35 pm

Post Wow arcticgolfer1....Don't hold back! RaceForTheCure
Laughing Rolling Eyes Laughing
Wade's going to be really disappointed to find out that he's been domesticated instead of the wild man he used to be!! Embarassed
And I know He watches me
Rona
Acts Mod
3/25/06 9:43 pm

Post Re: My husband is a Househusband. Is this wrong? arcticgolfer1
Well you did ask. I have no idea of your lifestyle, desire, or what kind of man Wade is. It is just Laughing my humble and accurate of opinion of stay at home Dad's.

And yes I am married and in this case thank God my wife has never had to work outside the home for money. She can volunteer her time to many good causes, primarily raising our 4 kids. We do not home school or churn butter. She is not barefoot and pregnant all the time. We were married about 7 years before having #1. She doesn't really have a desire to work outside the home, so that's fine. Of course neither one of us have much desire to work/clean inside the home, so that's why you bless someone and help the economy by hiring a maid service.
3/26/06 7:21 am

Post RFTC Bullseye77
Sounds like you have a good relationship with your husband. From your posts, it seems he is not uncomfortable in his role, and that you are not a demanding type inasmuch as you asked him to join you in your present situation. It also appears that he is fulfilling his role as spiritual leader in the home. You have stated that you get to spend "high quality" time with him. As one of the most conservative posters on this board, I say your arrangement is to be envied. Enjoy it, as sometimes circumstances change. I believe you will look back fondly upon this time in years to come, and you'll be glad for those walks and talks together.
3/26/06 8:23 am

Post Re: RFTC notwanghere
Bullseye77 wrote:
Sounds like you have a good relationship with your husband. From your posts, it seems he is not uncomfortable in his role, and that you are not a demanding type inasmuch as you asked him to join you in your present situation. It also appears that he is fulfilling his role as spiritual leader in the home. You have stated that you get to spend "high quality" time with him. As one of the most conservative posters on this board, I say your arrangement is to be envied. Enjoy it, as sometimes circumstances change. I believe you will look back fondly upon this time in years to come, and you'll be glad for those walks and talks together.

Great post Bullseye.
Acts Enthusiast
3/26/06 10:02 am

Post Well stated Bullseye......... RaceForTheCure
You are very intuitive. We are enjoying our time together and now that my father is here for a month they are spending alot of quality time together as well. I believe this is going to be very good for both of them.

Arcticgolfer1 - you are right; I did ask. We certainly have differing opinions but it sounds like each of us live life in circumstances that work for us.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
And I know He watches me
Rona
Acts Mod
3/26/06 9:48 pm

Post Re: My husband is a Househusband. Is this wrong? Land of Middle Girth
Who cares who brings the bacon home, as long as it isn't Canadian Bacon! Laughing
3/27/06 1:07 am

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post As a husband my point of view. REVKC
I have been married for about 9 months and before my wife was pregnant, we both worked, and I did the dishes cooked 5 out of 7 times a week, and cleaned alot. Now that my wife is pregnant all those responsibilities including work and housework have fallen on me. I would disagree with every person who says that a man can not be a househusband, although I do not fulfill that role completely because I have a job. First of all, If you say that housework is not work and you claim that a man needs to be out working, than you need to stay at home for a week and actually do the work. I would say it is one of the tougher jobs on Earth. When my wife complains because I am doing to much around the house I simple say, "What would Jesus do, if you was sick and you needed someone to clean the house?" The Bible clearly tells a husband to Love his wife as Jesus so Loved the church.

Take this situation a family has two kids, the Wife has a masters degree, and the ability to make 100,000 a year, the husband only a high education and makes less than 20,000. Surely the family can live off 100,000, and they have very heavy concerns about not letting others raise there kids, like me and my wife, except I don;t fit this bill because my wife has a master's degree but it is in Early Childhood education, but we do have strong feelings about not letting others raise our kids. What should they do?

I my opinion, the husband should stay home and raise the kids, the mother should work. This way all sides of the situation are met. I totally disagree that they should work penny to penny and let the mother stay home especially if she wants to work. I am completely against both parents working if they have strong feelings against other raising their kids.

To me it just seems that the more we allow others to raise our kid the worser this world gets. Also a proven fact is that kids who have behavior problems, that problem is usually linked directly to the attention they get from there parents.
Friendly Face
3/28/06 1:52 am

Post I get a little worried.... prefontaine
when we start saying tat scriptures don't matter. Like saying "1st Timothy aside". I don't think that we can lay any part of the Bible aside to meet what we want. To that end, If God has released you do have this arrangement, then so be it. Who are we as people to tell you what you are and aren't allowed to do? My wife is mostly a stay at home wife, and mom. She works longer days than I do, and a lot of the time, ends up picking up my messes-which is a bad thing I know.
I do think, though, tat you will have to safeguard against attacks that Satan will try to throw at you about his headship.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/12/06 8:19 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic