Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Origins and Validity of "Pleading the Blood"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Origins and Validity of "Pleading the Blood" Randy Johnson
How many of you grew up hearing the expression, "Plead the Blood" or "Pleading the Blood"?

What are the origins of this expression and is the expression Scripturally sound and supportable?
Ickesburg, Pennsylvania
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/5/09 5:23 am

Post T. L. Osborne maqqebet
claimed credit for "pleading the blood." He said in a TBN interview in the 80s that it came as a result of facing demonic powers while in Africa. I can't recall him offering any Scriptural support -- he may have, I just don't remember.

I have heard the mantra incorporating "we plead the blood of Jesus" on several occasions, although I have never used it. We have already been given delegated authority "in the name of Jesus." (John 14:12-14; Mark 16:17-18; Acts 16:18; 19:13f). No where is "pleading the blood" listed as part of the believer's armor (Ephesians 6:10f).

Apparently, pleading the blood is to appeal to the sacrifice Jesus made when executed. For some reason, and I'd like to know, it is suppose to give the one praying an advantage, especially against the enemy who appears to be attacking the individual. I suppose that it is offered up to gain advantage in the Father's eyes, thus incurring special favor.

I love it when some resort to calling the devil names, as if his feelings can be hurt.

I have simply borrowed a page from Michael and say, "The Lord rebuke you." (Jude 9)
"Who is like you, Adonai, among the mighty?" (Exodus 15:11, CJB)
Acts Enthusiast
10/5/09 5:41 am

Post A Few Places You Might Want to Look mytwocents
Hebrews chapter nine gives great detail to the power of the blood of Christ. Then in Heb 12:24 we are told ".. to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks better things than that of Abel.
NKJV

His blood still speaks on our behalf.

A great reference to this is Andrew Murray's The Power of the Blood of Jesus.[/u][/i]
Acts-celerater
10/5/09 7:29 am

Post I would do it doyle
The blood is already applied which means we don't have to plead.

HOWEVER, there have been some ministry occasions where I indeed did reach back to the days when I had heard that phrase in Church.

Is there a Scriptural mandate for it? I haven't searched the Scriptures to prove or disprove it specifically, but neither do I know of anything in Scripture that would forbid it.

We preachers are sometimes so involved with the physical aspects of ministry, most of them good; church facilities, seating, carpet, sound equipment, parking, paving, lawn-mowing, hospital visitation, trying to keep a decent car running .... until we may overlook the fact that incredible spiritual battles are taking place out of our sight.

While ministry may be a profession, it is ALWAYS A WAR spiritually.

Though I have MUCH confidence in the Blood of Christ and it's amazing role in my life, if I was facing situations where there was overt demonic activity and or possession, I'd still PLEAD THE BLOOD over all involved.

Doyle
10/5/09 12:44 pm

Post Classical Pentecostal
If one pleads the blood without an accompanying holy life, it is like the sons of Eli who called for the Ark of the Covenant to be brought into battle, then lost the battle. It is like the Jews just prior to the Babylonian overthrow of the Southern Kingdom in 586 BC. They did not believe God would violate the Temple, even when their lives were unholy. They were wrong.

Pleading the blood, even Jesus' blood, is a mere talisman unless a holy life based on covenantal relationship is present.
Acts Enthusiast
10/5/09 1:03 pm

Post re Rick Metzgar Jr
Thats why I dont like the terminology "To Envoke the presence of God". He is already HERE. Golf Cart Mafia Associate
10/5/09 1:09 pm

Post Re: re Classical Pentecostal
Rick Metzgar Jr wrote:
Thats why I dont like the terminology "To Envoke the presence of God". He is already HERE.

I believe it is INVOKE, Rick, instead of ENVOKE. Did they have spelling courses at WHBC? I thought there was a spelling course taught on Thursday between Prosperity 101 and Name-It-Claim-It 104.
Acts Enthusiast
10/5/09 1:16 pm

Post Re: re Dave Dorsey
Classical Pentecostal wrote:
I believe it is INVOKE, Rick, instead of ENVOKE. Did they have spelling courses at WHBC? I thought there was a spelling course taught on Thursday between Prosperity 101 and Name-It-Claim-It 104.

...wow. Isn't that a little uncalled for?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/5/09 1:57 pm

Post sheepdogandy
Naw, CP's just pickin. Very Happy

www.spwc.church
10/5/09 3:01 pm

Post Re: re Classical Pentecostal
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Classical Pentecostal wrote:

...wow. Isn't that a little uncalled for?

Only teasing, trippy. Mr. Green
Acts Enthusiast
10/5/09 3:48 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
How about Revelation 12:11?

Revelation 12:11
And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

(Please note it is NOT RevelationS.)
10/5/09 4:03 pm

Post Great point Rick doyle
Rick, you made a great point. Since God is everywhere present, we don't have to invoke His presence.

Doyle
10/5/09 5:45 pm

Post Classical Pentecostal
Carolyn Smith wrote:
How about Revelation 12:11?

(Please note it is NOT RevelationS.)

Mr. Green
Acts Enthusiast
10/5/09 6:24 pm

Post sheepdogandy
"There is wonder working power in the blood."

According to my red back at least. Laughing

www.spwc.church
10/5/09 7:36 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
sheepdogandy wrote:
"There is wonder working power in the blood."

According to my red back at least. Laughing

Well, we all know the Red Back is about as close to the gospel as you can get. Very Happy Very Happy Wink Wink
10/6/09 6:07 am

Post Christian superstition? Randy Johnson
Maybe this would make a good separate thread, but the way "pleading the blood" was used when I was a child, it was almost like an incantation to insure protection from harm or danger.

I could never find Scriptural evidence for this or for other things like:

Praying for a hedge of protection around somebody.

or

Traveling mercies

or

The devil can't understand you when you speak in tongues

Are these just Christian superstitions based on misapplications of Scriptures?

Does anyone else have examples of Christian superstitions they have encountered?
Ickesburg, Pennsylvania
10/6/09 6:38 am

Post Re: Christian superstition? Classical Pentecostal
Randy Johnson wrote:
Does anyone else have examples of Christian superstitions they have encountered?

Yes, Randy, how about the following:

1. Hyper-WOF doctrine
2. God will heal 100% of the time, when there are NT accounts where he did not
3. Jesus was materially rich on earth.
4. It is God's will that all Christians be materially rich.
5. Etc.........................................
Acts Enthusiast
10/6/09 6:58 am

Post So, Why Pray at All? mytwocents
If we are not to pray for traveling mercies, plead the blood (which still speaks), pray a hedge of protection (as God was said to have provided Job), then why pray at all?

Going down this road leads us to an end that what is going to happen is going to happen.

Whether are not things are theologically perfect in the eyes of men, I do not know. But I promise you this:
-when your child is diagnosed with cancer, you'll plead the blood!
-when you are traveling into hostile mission territory, you will pray for traveling mercy.
-when your brother is being sent to Afghanistan, you'll pray a hedge around him.

I think sometimes we try to explain too much and trust too little.
I'm reminded of the man who was blind and Jesus healed. When the scribes and pharisees (keepers of theology in that day) investigated and demanded an explanation of how this took place, his answer was simply "all I know is I was blind and now I see".
Acts-celerater
10/6/09 8:22 am

Post Re: So, Why Pray at All? Bullseye77
mytwocents wrote:
If we are not to pray for traveling mercies, plead the blood (which still speaks), pray a hedge of protection (as God was said to have provided Job), then why pray at all?

Going down this road leads us to an end that what is going to happen is going to happen.

Whether are not things are theologically perfect in the eyes of men, I do not know. But I promise you this:
-when your child is diagnosed with cancer, you'll plead the blood!
-when you are traveling into hostile mission territory, you will pray for traveling mercy.
-when your brother is being sent to Afghanistan, you'll pray a hedge around him.

I think sometimes we try to explain too much and trust too little.
I'm reminded of the man who was blind and Jesus healed. When the scribes and pharisees (keepers of theology in that day) investigated and demanded an explanation of how this took place, his answer was simply "all I know is I was blind and now I see".

I totally agree with this post. It sounds like an experienced Christian speaking. Some of those old time prayer warriors that I grew up with used a lot of the same terminoligy in their prayers. They may not have been able to explain technically what it meant, but they knew it worked and brought results. It was just their way of praying and asking God for His help. I still do it the way I learned it from them. And it still works. My claim to everything God has for me is based in the blood of Jesus.

Last edited by Bullseye77 on 10/7/09 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Acts Enthusiast
10/6/09 8:53 am

Post Link
I read in a book that Hagin heard a story about a missonary who got a scorpion sting and said, "I plead the blood of Jesus over this.' Hagin said, "I like that" and started teaching it (as if it were Biblical doctrine) after that. I suppose the missionary could have been TL Osborne.

What does the phrase really mean? I suppose, if youw ant to make an analogy of being on trial in heaven and being shown all your sins in heaven, and asking if you plead guilty or not guilty, you could 'plead the blood of Jesus.' But otherwise, what does pleading blood mean.

I remember early on asking my wife not to pray the blood of Jesus over the food before we ate. It just doesn't sit well with me to talk about blood over the food before we eat it.

I don't see anything in the Bible about sprinkling metaphoric or 'spiritual blood' on stuff while we pray. Jesus offered His blood, once for all, for our sins. Where does the Bible tell us to pray it on stuff?

I wonder if some of these teachings come from sermons on the Passover, about putting blood (which was literal back then, and a sign of things to come) onthe doorsof households.

That being said, I believe God, who is full of mercy and sees our hearts, responds to the faith of the faithful, even if our prayers may not all be 'theologically correct.'
10/6/09 6:37 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic