Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Who do you know personally who is gay?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Whom do you know who is homosexual?
In your family?
30%
 30%  [ 10 ]
Among your friends?
36%
 36%  [ 12 ]
Among those at work?
21%
 21%  [ 7 ]
In your church?
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
That is perhaps SSA but not gay?
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
I do not know any homosexual/lesbians at all
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 33

Message Author
Post Who do you know personally who is gay? Penni4yourthoughts
See where your homosexual friends are....
1/16/09 8:08 pm

Post Larry Wiley
My wife had a cousin who died of AIDS, and another one who currently has AIDS. Both are/were homosexual.
1/16/09 9:30 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
I found out in high school that one of my best friends (who I had formerly dated) was gay. He was attending my church, and it was quite a shock. He actually had joined our church in an attempt to free himself from what he was dealing with, but he was not successful at that time. He is married now, and we have lost touch, but I have often wondered how things have gone in his life. I have also thought of the many times my mom & I stayed in the altar with him seeking the Lord and wondered if more people had shown interest in him, if his path might have been different. I'm not blaming the church, because he definitely made his choices, but I've always wondered if he might have found freedom if someone could have shown him the way.

OTOH, it taught me to have compassion for those who struggle with this issue. I don't condone the lifestyle choices, but it made me realize that not many would choose this struggle in their lives, and yet, it is a very real thing they must deal with every single day.

I also wonder how many in the church know how to minister to someone in this situation. Those in leadership at that time were only interested in protecting their flock, rather than minister to the one who threatened them. While I understand that from a ministry perspective, I also see the pain of the gay young man who was my friend and longed for freedom that no one seemed capable of helping him find.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/16/09 9:47 pm

Post Daniel Rushing
I wish I could make more than one selection. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/16/09 9:50 pm

Post Darrell Garrett
I'm with Daniel. I have a cousin who is gay, I have several friends that are gay, and I have a gay man who has been attending my church. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/16/09 10:59 pm

Post DHDRabbi
I can't believe there are people that don't know any gays. Where in the world would they live??? [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/16/09 11:01 pm

Post Memory03
Daniel Rushing wrote:
I wish I could make more than one selection.

same here D... l picked friends, but l have a cousin who is openly gay... l haven't seen him in over 35 years... he moved to LA Cali... that is where he came out of the closet... guess he wanted to be away from family to be open with it...

Real Men get their haircut in a Barber Shop... The rest go to beauty parlors...
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/16/09 11:11 pm

Post Brenda
I voted for friends altho I wouldn't consider them friends per sey. They are neighbors.
Infact we know 2 couples that are and another couple I'd say is, altho they haven't come out and said they are partners.
But its strange that two women live together and you never see any males there unless they are related. So...go figure. Confused

Now..one of those girls that is gay says God made her that way. My husband I both have told her God didn't. Its a life style choice.
And another girl from the other couple at one time was married to a preacher man.
I seen her a couple weeks back outside as we drove down the street, she's in her 40's and she looks like a little old man.
I told my husband its sad how sin ages a person.
1/16/09 11:35 pm

Post sheepdogandy
What's an SSA?

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/16/09 11:39 pm

Post Colored Butterbean
Our pastor is gay. He's the happiest man I know. Every preacher ought to be gay like he is.
Oh you meant the other kind of gay.
Sad to say, but one of my sibblings, actually is bi this person can go either way.
But they need to go the straight and narrow way.
But for the most part gays are a lot friendler, and way more generous and always willing to lend a hand.
Any man with a girls voice preacher or non preacher they need to be taught how to get a man's voice.
Any woman with a man's voice need to take voice lessons.
I guess you didn't ask all this, but I felt the need to put my 2 cents in.
1/17/09 12:12 am

Post Link
What about classmate. I don't see that in the list.
1/17/09 12:37 am

Post A couple or so on Actscelerate... Yo Dude
I don't mean that in jest, etc. I believe there are several that truly love Jesus...and yet struggle this area.

They haven't admitted it to me or anything...I just "discern" that they are.

But I have a special place in my heart for those who cannot rid themselves of these feelings, yet truly love Jesus. I believe Jesus has a special place in HIS heart for them, too.

Yes, it's still sin, but I think we now recognize that there are deep-seated and early childhood reasons that a lot of folks wind up with these tendencies--things utterly beyond their control.

I hope we can have a heart of compassion and love for them. I know I do.
Acts-dicted
1/17/09 2:29 am

Post Wesley Duncan
[quote="Colored Butterbean"]Our pastor is gay. He's the happiest man I know. Every preacher ought to be gay like he is.
Oh you meant the other kind of gay.

But for the most part gays are a lot friendler, and way more generous and always willing to lend a hand.

Rab, I don't know anyone who is gay. I live in Flint, MI and I pastor a church. I know I live a sheltered life. There might be one or some in the church I pastor but I am not aware of any. Maybe I need to sharpen my spirit of discernment.
I worked with a man who was purported to be gay, except back in the 60' they were not called gay. But I don't know for sure that he was gay, a little different but many people are different.

As for the gays are a lot friendlier, and way more generous and always willing to give a helping hand, I don't buy that. Neither do I buy that "Fat People" are happier than others.

I don't assume just because I see two men or two women at the restaurant together or walking in the mall together that they are gay.

I've said enough, Maybe it's just me!! But I'm "Happy in Jesus!!"

Have a Great day in the Lord.

W Duncan
Friendly Face
1/17/09 7:36 am

Post daddyohohoh
My cousin is openly gay and she has been for many years. She was sexually molested and prostituted, she has some issues with men.

I have friends from high school who are gay.
I had a man in our church who left his wife and went back to his homosexual lifestyle.

I have worked with gay individuals.

Did I miss any. Oh yeah, what is SSA? I must be out of the loop. Although it could be said it's a good loop to be out of.
1/17/09 9:16 am

Post Dave Dorsey
sheepdogandy wrote:
What's an SSA?

Social Security Administration?

I mean, I think do think FICA is pretty gay, but...
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/17/09 10:32 am

Post Brenda
tripsD wrote:
sheepdogandy wrote:
What's an SSA?

Social Security Administration?

I mean, I think do think FICA is pretty gay, but...

I'd wondered that to.
1/17/09 10:57 am

Post ctoddrobbins
My question would be how many have directly ministered to gays and counseled with them.

This will be the most challenging part of our ministry over the next decade should the Lord tarry, I am convinced of this. In a society where this lifestyle and oppression of the enemy is becoming more and more acceptable and pushed into the light of day, we can no longer just preach against it and be done with it.

It's no longer something we preach about going on in CA or some far off city, but now it is the children of our members, the brothers and sisters of our leaders in the church and even the battle of our spiritual leaders (Haggard for example).

We must find the heart of Christ on this...and I'll admit, that's going to be hard far all of us. We will have to devise a way to break this yoke in the lives of those around us...and move beyond our disgust of the sin and into the broken heart for the sinner....for the one battling this powerful bondage of hell.

We are going to have to find a way to reach out in the coming years as a local church and denom and find a way to minister to love and compassion of Christ while yet holding the standard of God's Word high....and that will be tough for us all.

www.theinspiredhillbilly.com - Check out our ministry blog today!
Acts Enthusiast
1/17/09 10:58 am

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post daisy24
I don't know what SSA is, but all of the above.

We have a new family member whom we are getting pretty close to who is gay and is actually taking it a step farther.

We ministered to several homosexuals while in youth ministry.

I work with several homosexuals.

I agree with whoever said they are some of the nicest, most generous people (I think this is what was said). There is a lesbian woman at work and she will help anyone out in anyway possible. She always goes above and beyond what others are willing to do. And she does it with a sincere heart.

If you think you don't have any homosexuals in your life right now, I can pretty much guarantee you are wrong. You just don't know they are gay yet.
1/17/09 11:06 am

Post I think SSA coastalcracker
means Same Sex Attraction. Does that mean they aren't gay if they don't act on the attraction?

Anyway, I have friends that are gay and they are great people. I also have friends that are drinkers and friends that have smoked dope. I have friends that are sexually active and unmarried. I try to treat all of them with respect and love.

Do we spend nearly as much time calling all the other sinners out as we do telling gays that they sinning? When was the last time you preached at someone you know for having premarital sex or for drinking? I'm sure some of us do, but for the most part, we leave them alone unless they are in the church.
Acts-celerater
1/17/09 11:07 am

Post SSA daisy24
Just did a google search. SSA = Same Sex Attraction.

Oh boy - triple my above score. I know lots of these. Again, thanks to youth ministry and just being in the real world.
1/17/09 11:08 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic