Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

most annoying preacher-isms
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post fire-starter
youngleader wrote:
This stuff may be funny in a way...

But to me, it's sad.. These are most of the reasons people hate church. The pastor learned his cues from a circus conductor.

Is that what we do in Pentecostal churches? Run a circus?

Give it time young man. You'll discover that your church does some pretty irritating things over and over again. In 20 years your kids will be poking fun at the way you do church.
Acts Enthusiast
6/30/08 8:55 am

Post youngleader
I know... I just hope to God I don't make a spectacle out of my saviour.
6/30/08 9:00 am

Post Pastor John
Maybe if the people showed some life and excitement the preacher wouldn't use those cliches. He's only trying to pump them up cuz their probably acting dead. Ouch!

I hate the cliches too! but look at the reason behind them. Why is the preacher using them in the first place?

BTW, my favorite.............................................
If you were at a ( insert event here, e.g football game ) you would be hooping and hollering, screaming for hours but you can't give Jeus a few minutes of prise? C'mon and stand to your feet and praise Him!
Belt Jerker
6/30/08 9:00 am

Post 2ndgeneration
I don't believe a pastor should have to be a cheerleader.

If the people are acting dead, maybe something is wrong in the spiritual depth department... My job is to encourage them in their relationship with God, not pumping up excitement because it makes us feel or look more Pentecostal. I want it to be a decision based out of a powerful and personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Also, are we looking for a response from the people in order to make ourselves feel better about what we preach or say?

That said... I believe in reminding them of His presence and what our response SHOULD be but do we have to use the same line as every other Pentecostal preacher we've heard or read a mass forward/email from?
Acts Enthusiast
6/30/08 9:23 am

Post Stuck in "Reverend" Kevin Summitt
Out of the pulpit, at the store, where ever they are and "It's good to see ya bless God, have you had a good day Praise the Lord." Do those guy's get out of bed in the morning and start..."Honey will ya fix me some coffee bless God. I'd like some eggs, over easy with some glorified grits thank ya Jesus."
6/30/08 9:39 am

Post dat-1-guy
One of the funnier ones I've heard lately was when a preacher had gotten all worked up in his preaching he paused and said, "Somebody praise Him in this place while I catch my breath." Friendly Face
6/30/08 9:47 am

Post Great You Tube one Kevin Summitt
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YUSbdfiU6M

That one was funny but,
I think some folks would need to call U-haul on their way home. Embarassed
6/30/08 10:08 am

Post Eduardo Nieves
Weeeeeeeeeeel! ahahhh.
Romanos 8:37
37 Sin embargo, en todo esto somos más que vencedores por medio de aquel que nos amó.

"A Church Without Walls, A Place for All People"
El Nuevo Mana
Eduardo Nieves
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
6/30/08 2:52 pm

Post the one i hate the most... Bill Kinley
"i will shout at the drop of the hat and drop the hat to shout with....blah, blah, blah, blah......" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
6/30/08 3:00 pm

Post well, Phil Hoover
"and that'a good place for an AMEN, saints.."

Don't hear alot of the "preacherisms" from Erwin Lutzer..

thank the Lord.

www.philhoover-chicago.blogspot.com
Acts-pert Poster
6/30/08 3:16 pm

Post Hmmmm Pastor Gary
Pastor John wrote:
Maybe if the people showed some life and excitement the preacher wouldn't use those cliches. He's only trying to pump them up cuz their probably acting dead. Ouch!

Consider this: many people come to church wounded, hurting, beaten down from a hard week at home or on the job. Some of them are worried that they will have gas money to get to work all next week. Some had a screaming match with their spouse and kids in the car on the way to church.

Some people have little to yell and scream about at church. They come through those doors hoping beyond hope that someone - anyone -- will walk up and hug them and act glad they are there. They come desperate for a word of hope and encouragement that the Lord will never leave them or forsake them, that he knows and understands and cares about what they are going through, and that the church does too. They come hoping their pastor will speak words that heal, affirm and bless them so they can make it til lunch time Monday at the job they hate.

They don't need to be pumped up nearly as much as they need to be built up, and most preacher cheerleading is an ego-building exercise so the minister can feel anointed and powerful.
6/30/08 3:30 pm

Post free
Does anyone want to start a "most annoying member-isms thread?" Friendly Face
6/30/08 3:55 pm

Post Here's one EdSturgill
Call me anything you like, but when the rapture happens, call me gone! Friendly Face
6/30/08 4:04 pm

Post Re: Hmmmm macgulley
Pastor Gary wrote:
They don't need to be pumped up nearly as much as they need to be built up, and most preacher cheerleading is an ego-building exercise so the minister can feel anointed and powerful.

I think you're analysis is right on.

One of my least favorite preacherisms is " I know it's late but I don't care, I'm not through preaching." Rolling Eyes
When the message is effective no one else cares what time it is either (and there's no need to ask for an "Amen." Exclamation
6/30/08 4:10 pm

Post free
Most of these isms are habit, learned behavior or simply fillers...If ministers would take more time and listen/watch themselves they could correct many of these things very easily. Friendly Face
6/30/08 4:23 pm

Post Yep Pastor Gary
free wrote:
Most of these isms are habit, learned behavior or simply fillers...If ministers would take more time and listen/watch themselves they could correct many of these things very easily.

I watch the video archive of every service to critique my own delivery, eliminate annoying mannerisms and improve my delivery. It was a shocker the first few times to hear some very distracting speech affectations and see some odd body language mannerisms.

I still have a long way to go, but when I watch a video from a year ago, and one now, I see real progress.
6/30/08 4:28 pm

Post Re: well in the black church.. jonbrown999
String Bender55 wrote:

Thanks for a lil bit of soul Bro! Good to hear from ya again!

Thanks String!!

Got a new axe lately? I brought back one from Africa (ha) It's a strange drum, 4 string, primitive banjo thing... is the best I can describe it..

jb- pickin' an-a grinnin' ... fo sho
6/30/08 9:26 pm

Post Re: Yep jonbrown999
Pastor Gary wrote:

I watch the video archive of every service to critique my own delivery, eliminate annoying mannerisms and improve my delivery. It was a shocker the first few times to hear some very distracting speech affectations and see some odd body language mannerisms.

I still have a long way to go, but when I watch a video from a year ago, and one now, I see real progress.

Have you stopped that pickin' yer nose and looking at it while you talk mannerism yet??? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

jb- has it on camera!!!! I stuck my finger in my ear, dug around and then looked at it still gabbing away !!! SOOOOOO embarrassing!!
6/30/08 9:31 pm

Post Da Sheik
I wanna get under the spout where the glory comes out

My my we're having a time in Zion

I don't know who I'm preaching to

If this don't light your fire your wood's wet
Acts Enthusiast
7/3/08 4:47 pm

Post Any sermon Phil Hoover
that has to CONSTANTLY take a dig at any of the following:

the tax-and-spend liberals (whoever they are)

OPRAH...even though her "theology" is more "me-ology"

Public school teachers

etc

www.philhoover-chicago.blogspot.com
Acts-pert Poster
7/3/08 5:34 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic