Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

***A Prophetic Message to the Church of God*** (L)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: ***A Prophetic Message to the Church of God*** (L) The CoG Bullet
Very interesting. Travis would you tell us a little bit more about Brenda Taylor. I'm not real deep into the COG and I may be totally missing something here. While I hear a distinctive depth to what Dr. Moore is saying, it would help me have context if I understood a little bit of who she was, and how she lived and died. I take it she saw her own cancer and death as a prophetic sign to the church?

Thanks,

Bullet

Travis Johnson wrote:
This message was given at the oldest continuing Pentecostal Church in America, North Cleveland Church of God. The spokesman was the Theology Department Chair of Lee University, a professor at Church of God Theological Seminary, and the founding editor of the Journal for Pentecostal Theology, Dr. Rickie Moore.

Dr. Moore is not a novice or a renegade. He is a son of the Church of God and he is a father to many of our sons and daughters. The message should not be received lightly nor should it be ignored. The words should be weighed and considered as a prophetic message from the Lord specifically for the Church of God. We should respond with repentant hearts, every one of us.

LINK TO VIDEO MESSAGE

Acts-celerater
2/20/08 10:46 pm

Post WOW! Bob Wilson
What else can we say? Powerful and frightening! I see no other future for the COG. Many of the younger, forward thinking ministers that are left in the movement, checked out years ago (myself included). I have major concerns and trust issues with leadership from the local, state and national levels. For years we have witnessed overseers and top leadership abuse their power, imtimidate pastors, waste contributions and use their position to benefit themselves instead of the people they serve. Enough is enough! If the denomination dies, so be it, God's kingdom will continue! Newbie
2/21/08 12:05 pm

Post OK sheepdogandy
where are my "company men"?

C'mon guys, I want to hear what you have got to say about this.

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/21/08 1:18 pm

Post Re: OK Cletus Bob
sheepdogandy wrote:
where are my "company men"?

C'mon guys, I want to hear what you have got to say about this.

Here, let me go ahead and say what they usually say:

"if you don't like it, just go ahead and leave then..we'll be better off without you!!"

"the COG is the best thing around...I've been COG my entire life and so has my daddy, grand daddy and his daddy and I aint changing now!!"

"this whole 'prophesy' thing is a bunch of emerging mumbo jumbo anyway...just pray for a 'move of God' and everything will be okay!"

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Friendly Face
2/21/08 2:29 pm

Post Re: I remember hearing this Phil Hoover
Travis Johnson wrote:
Phil Hoover wrote:
in 1996 when I first entered seminary.

There is not a more humble and gracious man than Rickie Moore. He was speaking the "word of the Lord" to the church at the time.

And yes, this is a troubling prophecy....but it was from God.

Phil,

Is that word for 1996? Have we seen/are we seeing its fulfillment? Is that word for today?

If I understand Matt's conversation with Dr. Moore correctly, he shared that he knew that our generation would come looking for that word...he wasn't surprised.

Also, if my memory serves me correctly, it was in or around 1996 when the COG was ranked by Newsweek as the fastest growing denomination in the US. If that is the case, much of what was said in the video contrasted with our reality in 2008 where our US churches are shrinking in numbers of attendees, receipts, and numbers of churches is startling and would surely seem like a confirmation.

Did we fail to heed the warning? Is it too late? I do believe that there is hope in this message. How do we respond? Where do we start?

All I can say Travis, is that God urged the "Cleveland church world" to repent...and still urges His people to repent.

Part of the sadness with this prophetic word is that many people were looking aghast and asking, "What do we have to repent of? Why should WE be repenting?"

While I believe that "word" was for that time and place, I also believe that it is for today, and has contemporary implications for the Church in the Third Millenium/Twenty-First Century.

Back in 1983, in the COGOP General Assembly, the continual/consistent word of the Lord to the "church" was that we repent, and return to our God. This baffled some folks, and they were asking, "Why? What do we need to repent of--haven't we done the Lord's will?" But the same message throughout those seven days that we must "repent."

The denomination didn't seem to heed the admonition and warning of the Lord to us. Now more than 20 years later, look at all that has happened (both good and bad), and where the denomination has been and what it has come through.

"The Word of the LORD" to His children should never be taken lightly. It should be discerned, weighed, but not ignored.

www.philhoover-chicago.blogspot.com
Acts-pert Poster
2/21/08 2:32 pm

Post So, fire-starter
Who is this Brenda Talyor. Do tell. Acts Enthusiast
2/21/08 3:43 pm

Post Darrell Garrett
Don't miss the forest for the trees. This was not about Brenda. Brenda was an awesome woman of God, married to Al Taylor who was over the Stewardship Department of the COG for years. Several keep asking about Brenda as if this Word is acceptable if she was "the right person" or something. Al and Brenda were both very dear friends to our family for 35 years, so I in no way am attempting to belittle her, but rather point out that she was simple a vessel God used in this instance to help carry a message, NOT be the message. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/21/08 4:12 pm

Post Travis Johnson
On MissionalCOG.com, Steve Wright made the suggestion that this video be shown at the General Assembly. Matt Boyd has made the suggestion that Dr. Rickie Moore speak at the General Assembly. These are both exceptional suggestions.

In running with this message, this is where we are at this moment:

So far, over 1,100 unique viewers have read the missionalcog.com entry in the past 36 hours. 421 individuals have watched video #2 by going to YouTube. The following named individuals have viewed the video and responded...an important marker in determining who finds this to be a credible word from the Lord:

Matt Boyd
Travis Johnson
Joe Nail
Darrell Garrett
Randy Johnson
Phil Hoover
Harold Beasley
Ken Shelton
Bob Wilson
Frank Crank
Steve Wright
Jonathan Martin
Mike McMullin
Neil Smith
Bobby Duncan
Leonce Crump
Mike Burgner
Acts-dicted
2/21/08 4:13 pm

Post The CoG Bullet
The Dawg wrote:
Don't miss the forest for the trees. This was not about Brenda. Brenda was an awesome woman of God, married to Al Taylor who was over the Stewardship Department of the COG for years. Several keep asking about Brenda as if this Word is acceptable if she was "the right person" or something. Al and Brenda were both very dear friends to our family for 35 years, so I in no way am attempting to belittle her, but rather point out that she was simple a vessel God used in this instance to help carry a message, NOT be the message.

I don't think I'm missing anything based on whats there. I hear the prophetic tone. I also know it's a bit unusual for someone to utter a prophecy while speaking at a funeral. I'm not questioning whether she is the "right" person.
Ricky is begging the question in the vid we've been asked to watch Darrell.

I don't think I'm reading anything into it to say that it would seem Ms. Taylor had asked Dr. Moore to do this kind of thing at her funeral. I had no thoughts that she was the message or anything like that.

It's just on the edge of bizarre is all I'm saying-unless she felt in her death God could speak a word to the church and that He was somehow going to use her pain. That I can see. Glad to know she was your friend...I'm sure she was a very fine lady.

Bullet
Acts-celerater
2/21/08 4:46 pm

Post The Taylors Phil Hoover
are fine people. Brenda was exceptional...as is Al.

Dr Rickie Moore is very careful with what he senses to be the "prophetic" giftings.

I haven't always agreed with him, but when he says that he received a "word from the Lord"--I would take it to the bank and deposit it.

He doesn't do this flippantly, arrogantly, or lightly.

Acts-pert Poster
2/21/08 4:56 pm

Post Travis Johnson
The CoG Bullet wrote:
I don't think I'm missing anything based on whats there. I hear the prophetic tone. I also know it's a bit unusual for someone to utter a prophecy while speaking at a funeral. I'm not questioning whether she is the "right" person.

I don't think I'm reading anything into it to say that it would seem Ms. Taylor had asked Dr. Moore to do this kind of thing at her funeral. I had no thoughts that she was the message or anything like that.

It's just on the edge of bizarre is all I'm saying-unless she felt in her death God could speak a word to the church and that He was somehow going to use her pain. That I can see. Glad to know she was your friend...I'm sure she was a very fine lady.

Bullet

If you watch all three videos, the story of how that came to be is explained.
Acts-dicted
2/21/08 4:57 pm

Post The CoG Bullet
Travis Johnson wrote:
The CoG Bullet wrote:

Bullet

If you watch all three videos, the story of how that came to be is explained.

I did, and I must've missed it. Are you sure it's not just for those "in the know?" I'll watch again. I'm not disagreeing with it at all. You guys are acting like it's heresy just to ask the question. It's just a little weird to hear a guy prophesying to a dying denomination with a casket in front of him is all I'm saying. I'm not as popular as Hoover and everyone in the CoG and CoGop are not my dear old friends Wink

Bullet
Acts-celerater
2/21/08 5:16 pm

Post Darrell Garrett
Quote:
I did, and I must've missed it. Are you sure it's not just for those "in the know?" I'll watch again. I'm not disagreeing with it at all. You guys are acting like it's heresy just to ask the question. It's just a little weird to hear a guy prophesying to a dying denomination with a casket in front of him is all I'm saying. I'm not as popular as Hoover and everyone in the CoG and CoGop are not my dear old friends

Bullet

Not at all Bullet. First of all, I was not singling you out, as several have asked who Brenda was, and it seemed to me (my opinion) that some where trying to make this connection that she had to be a special person for this Word to be legit. Maybe that is not what anyone meant at all, but it seemed that way to me, and that was why I made my post. I'm sorry if you felt like I was picking at you, but I assure you I was not. I was in general terms trying to take the focus off of Brenda and back on what the intent of the message is.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/21/08 6:10 pm

Post There is scriptural precedence... Gerald Abreu
There is scriptural precedence for a woman's death speaking a prophetic word to God's people in Ezekiel 24.

Rickie Moore spoke no doubt for that time but also for us now, "he who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."
Acts-celerater
2/21/08 9:17 pm

Post But Still.... Buck Marshall
I am fifth generation Church of God and I would like to know who Brenda Taylor was. Can someone just tell us please? I think since this was at her funeral, I would also like to know something about her. I have already watched the video and I think it is a prophecy. I judge the prophecy not the man or the woman. Some have suggested that Rick is good, trustworthy, sober...and he is. I know him. I have much confidence in him, but that is not what scripture says determines the legitimacy of the prophecy. It is clear; we are to judge the word to see if it is of God, not judge the man giving it. That is a common mistake in church. Anyway, I don't need convincing. I believe it is a word for the COG then and it is ongoing. But, I still want to know about Brenda Taylor....so, could someone please tell us about her? Acts-celerater
2/22/08 2:39 am

Post Darrell Garrett
Hey Buck, I already told you in the thread above. Brenda was the wife of Al Taylor who for many years served in the Stewardship Office. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/22/08 9:28 am

Post Buck Marshall
Okay...thanks....I guess I was hoping for a more filled in profile of this woman. Acts-celerater
2/22/08 1:47 pm

Post And just why Phil Hoover
The CoG Bullet wrote:
I'm not as popular as Hoover and everyone in the CoG and CoGop are not my dear old friends Wink

Bullet

Did you feel it necessary to take a "swipe" at me?

That was clearly uncalled for.

Acts-pert Poster
2/22/08 1:51 pm

Post DHDRabbi
My 2 cents worth is that I totally trust Ricky Moore and would take seriously anything he had to say. He is my friend. He is a great guy. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/22/08 2:20 pm

Post My concern... SouthGeorgiaBoy
with several of the post here is that it seems there are some who are rejoicing in the what may seem to be demise of the Church of God. If (and I'm not implying that it is not) this is a phophetic word to the body then we should be delighted that God loves it enough to send a word.

I have been part of the movement all of my life and I am not planning on going somewhere else. There are many great men and women of God in this church that He has and is raising up to be a powerful voice in this time. God has not and will not abandon His church.

The thing that bothers me here is some of the arrogance, especially by some who have left the movement, toward the Church of God.

I do believe that the movement needs to be open to new ideas and to a new generation of leaders that may be doing it differently than what has been in the past. However, our message should always be the same. We believe in salvation through the shed blood of Jesus Christ and the baptism in the Holy Ghost after our conversion experience!!!
Acts Enthusiast
2/22/08 3:02 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic