Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Do you spank your children?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you spank your children?
Yes, when they need physical discipline
52%
 52%  [ 32 ]
No, I do not believe in it
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
I don't have children at home, but I did spank them
42%
 42%  [ 26 ]
I don't have children at home, but I never spanked them
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 61

Message Author
Post Do you spank your children? DHDRabbi
It's been a while since I had children at home and was just wondering about this.

Last edited by DHDRabbi on 2/11/08 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/10/08 2:33 pm

Post good question Rabbi... PastorKeith
but did spanking ever stop? I must say though that even though I have grandchildren (believe me I am far from your typical Norman Rockwell type Laughing ) now, my discipline or correction of them is different than when I raised my children.
2/10/08 2:58 pm

Post DHDRabbi
I was just wondering if the young folks are still spanking their children. My thoughts about it changed while my kids were home. In other words, my oldest got more spankings than my youngest. That was a long time ago and I was just wanting to know what was going on these days. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/10/08 3:04 pm

Post Very typical for most families DHD. PastorKeith
Most, including myself, are pretty much harder in correcting the first child vs. the remaining children. By the time I got to the sixth child, the first child was questioning "how come you didnt let me get away with that?" In turnabout fashion, many times our children teach us about ourselves more so than we teach them about us. Smile
2/10/08 3:09 pm

Post Memory03
l can probably count the times on my hands that l ever had to give a serious spanking while he was growing up...

Real Men get their haircut in a Barber Shop... The rest go to beauty parlors...
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/10/08 3:52 pm

Post vintagefaith77
no, he's only 2 1/2 weeks old though Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Acts Enthusiast
2/10/08 3:59 pm

Post cdhenderson
Is this going to be used against me in a court of law Rolling Eyes
Acts Enthusiast
2/10/08 9:30 pm

Post DHDRabbi
cdhenderson wrote:
Is this going to be used against me in a court of law Rolling Eyes

Only if you answer YES in the poll. I know where you live too. Shocked
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/10/08 9:37 pm

Post Fisher
I was raised with corporal punishment. I thought it was the way. I remember spanking my daughter once. Unfortunatly my first born was not so lucky.

I was very young and spanked much more than needed! I have since repented to him!

I will not discount the need of the "occasional" butt slap, but if I am any example, it needs to be very rare and should not be seen as the first method of discipline.
2/10/08 9:46 pm

Post Psalms
I checked "no"....but possibly should have checked "yes". I have spanked mine before.....if you want to call it that. A swat on the butt was about the extent of it.

As a child, I was the oldest, and I was responsible for my younger siblings. If they did something wrong...I got "spanked" for it. The subject tends to bring up bad memories for me. As an adult I ended up going to a parenting class to learn how to correct my children properly for fear that I would be abusive and not correct them properly. I decided that taking something away for a period of time was effective and opted for that the majority of the time and stayed away from spanking. I believe that there is a right way to spank and a wrong way. Because of my method of discipline I took a lot of criticism from other Christians...and to make it worse....they rarely had anything to say to me but rather opted to tell my children that I did not love them if I did not spank them. In my opinion, the goal is to correct the child when they have done wrong. It's not so much the method of correction...but the fact that they have been corrected, suffered a consequence, and learned a valuable lesson. When my daughter was younger I always took her to the bible and had her look up scripture pertaining to the wrong that she had done, had her read it, write it down, and then write something to me in her own words about what she had done and why it was wrong, pray with her about it and then dole out a punishment to her that was fitting for the situation. By the time I was done with her....she may have very well wished that I had spanked her instead! Wink The biggest thing for me was that I never wanted to "spank" or react out of anger.
Acts-celerater
2/10/08 10:26 pm

Post DOC
I spank my children if what they did warrants it. My parents spanked my siblings and me. We have never been in trouble with the law. Never spent one minute in a jail cell. We have never abused drugs or alcohol or been in rehab.
I would say that it worked for us.
2/11/08 12:21 am

Post DHDRabbi
Many years ago, a man I went to church with was having trouble with his 16 year old. She left the house when she was told not to and was gone overnight, I think. When she returned the next day, he spanked her. She ran to a neighbor's house and they called the law. He spent time in jail. The police tried to get the girl to say bad things about her Dad, but she wouldn't. She realized what she had done seeing her dad in jail.

This man did not deserve to go to jail, but that is the reality of society. And that was over 20 years ago.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/11/08 8:48 am

Post There is just a huge difference Phil Hoover
between abuse and discipline.....

www.philhoover-chicago.blogspot.com
Acts-pert Poster
2/11/08 9:46 am

Post Re: There is just a huge difference DHDRabbi
Phil Hoover wrote:
between abuse and discipline.....

I agree. My friend did NOT abuse his daughter. He swatted her with a switch on the back side and being the drama queen, she ran to a neighbor's house. If there was an abuse in his situation, it was that he didn't spank her enough in her early years.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/11/08 10:37 am

Post Memory03
love should not hurt...
love should not leave bruises or marks on ones body...
love should not be a mask covering a face of fear...
love should not be a mask covering a face of anger and rage...
love should not destroy what it touches...

2/11/08 11:04 am

Post My wife & I both daddyohohoh
spank our children as needed. One thing I learned growing up was it may have hurt for a little while, but that pain was much better than life pain later on.
2/11/08 11:26 am

Post prefontaine
Memory03 wrote:
love should not hurt...

Love also does not allow a child to do whatever they want, and hope they turn out ok. I spank my 2 year old son. Nothing real hard yet, but enough to let him know that his actions are not alright. So, would it be love if I allowed my son to do whatever he pleased? Would it be love to spare the rod and spoil the child?? Jesus took a whip - that He had made - into the temple. You think nobody got hurt in that ordeal?? I'd say He loved them, however. I sit down with my son before and after a discipline him - no matter what form I choose at the time - and I tell him that what he did was not ok, and I ask if he gets it. It's amazing at 2, how much he is understanding. Then, I'll swat him once or twice, and then we sit back down and I hold him and love on him. No matter how much I ever spank him or ground him, or whatever I use - I want him to know that I love him.

clintwills.blogspot.com
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/11/08 11:28 am

Post Memory03
prefontaine wrote:
Memory03 wrote:
love should not hurt...

Love also does not allow a child to do whatever they want, and hope they turn out ok. I spank my 2 year old son. Nothing real hard yet, but enough to let him know that his actions are not alright. So, would it be love if I allowed my son to do whatever he pleased? Would it be love to spare the rod and spoil the child?? Jesus took a whip - that He had made - into the temple. You think nobody got hurt in that ordeal?? I'd say He loved them, however. I sit down with my son before and after a discipline him - no matter what form I choose at the time - and I tell him that what he did was not ok, and I ask if he gets it. It's amazing at 2, how much he is understanding. Then, I'll swat him once or twice, and then we sit back down and I hold him and love on him. No matter how much I ever spank him or ground him, or whatever I use - I want him to know that I love him.

betcha Jesus never hit one child in that event...

l am not against spanking... just against doing permanent damage to our children... l carry much baggage from someone who thought just like you... in fact the "spare the rod and spoil the child" was the only bible verse they knew... and they applied it many times a day, according to what kind of day they were having... we kids didn't have to do something bad, just had to be there...

2/11/08 11:43 am

Post Memory... daddyohohoh
definitely seems like much "scar" tissue has helped to develop you opinion of this matter. Although growing up for me I would consider "normal", I am often checked in my spirit as to the length of discipline I am willing to go. I have had to learn as Prefontaine stated, to discuss before & after and definitely apply much love ofter discipline.

I also check myself to make sure my response isn't fueled by anger, instead of truly bringing correction to a situation.
2/11/08 12:05 pm

Post Re: Memory... Memory03
daddyohohoh wrote:
definitely seems like much "scar" tissue has helped to develop you opinion of this matter. Although growing up for me I would consider "normal", I am often checked in my spirit as to the length of discipline I am willing to go. I have had to learn as Prefontaine stated, to discuss before & after and definitely apply much love ofter discipline.

I also check myself to make sure my response isn't fueled by anger, instead of truly bringing correction to a situation.

you are correct... it has...

l agree with correcting children... just control it... every time we hurt someone, they start drifting away... soon we begin to wonder what went wrong... if we cannot control our tempers/actions, we have no business administering discipline...

2/11/08 12:22 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic