Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Secular Music in Church. WWJD?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Secular Music in Church. WWJD? String Bender55
Hey. OK I got this from another thread and it gave cause to pause and think. Here is what I think. For what it's worth.

There is nothing wrong with doing secular music in church.

You would not try and feed Top Sirloin to a baby, so why and hit them with the hard stuff right away. Bring them in with music they are comfortable with (THEME music) then when God cleans them up give em the good stuff. We are not the church that says "Church of God, No sinners allowed."

I played lots of Secular music in Church. We did MONEY by Pink Floyd for offering one Sunday. One old lady came up to me after service and asked me what the name of the song was. She said String Bender, that was a real toe tapper.

SO, why be so closed minded and pious. GOD created music, it was Satan that perverted it and used it for bad things. We take it back, clean it up and play it loud and proud!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/27/07 12:42 pm

Post Re: Secular Music in Church. WWJD? roughridercog
String Bender55 wrote:
Hey. OK I got this from another thread and it gave cause to pause and think. Here is what I think. For what it's worth.

There is nothing wrong with doing secular music in church.

You would not try and feed Top Sirloin to a baby, so why and hit them with the hard stuff right away. Bring them in with music they are comfortable with (THEME music) then when God cleans them up give em the good stuff. We are not the church that says "Church of God, No sinners allowed."

I played lots of Secular music in Church. We did MONEY by Pink Floyd for offering one Sunday. One old lady came up to me after service and asked me what the name of the song was. She said String Bender, that was a real toe tapper.

SO, why be so closed minded and pious. GOD created music, it was Satan that perverted it and used it for bad things. We take it back, clean it up and play it loud and proud!

That's right. Bring in that bluegrass from the still and put it in church where it belongs. Laughing Laughing
2/27/07 12:51 pm

Post String you should appreciate this rac
Many years ago my Dad played in a band. My Grandmother was old time COG but was so proud of her son that she convinced him for the band to play at her church. Pop and his band did not know any gospel songs, so they learned one song. After they played the one and only church song they knew the church people loved it so much they begged for them to play another. At that time Pop played the mandolin so they took off on Tiger Rag. The church people loved it and begged them to come back and play again. After grandma found out what the second song was she would not let them play anymore. Friendly Face
2/27/07 1:29 pm

Post vintagefaith77
ok, here's a serious question. How do you incorporate it into the service? Is it just at the beginning as people are coming in or do you actually play it during worship and if so, do people worship? Acts Enthusiast
2/27/07 3:32 pm

Post stp89
vintagefaith77 wrote:
ok, here's a serious question. How do you incorporate it into the service? Is it just at the beginning as people are coming in or do you actually play it during worship and if so, do people worship?

Well, after preaching about hell and the lake of fire, we like to cue up Robert Palmer's version of "Some Like It Hot" during the altar call. Twisted Evil

(only kidding of course)-what would be the point of playing secular music in church?
Acts Enthusiast
2/27/07 4:42 pm

Post Back in 72 Pastor Gary
I was a youth leader in a church in Columbus, GA and played drums. We had a killer piano player who was in the Army Bith me at Benning. One night during a revival with one of those loooooonnnggg altar services, we had played every barn-burner old gospel song we knew... twice. He slid into something vaguely familiar sounding, and the players followed, and people were just getting into it in a bog way, rejoicing and all, and about the second verse or chorus I realized he was playing "Hold That Tiger!"

Shocked Embarassed Laughing Laughing Laughing
2/27/07 4:50 pm

Post Bon Jovi and Jennifer Nettles rakj
One of the greatest dramas we've ever had presented at our church was done recently to the Bon Jovi tune "Who Says You Can't Go Home" featuring Jennifer Nettles. It was awesome. I almost shouted to Bon Jovi.
I agree with Geoff Moore. Why Should The Devil Have All The Good Music?
Friendly Face
2/27/07 5:53 pm

Post I dont get it Charlie Metz
I just dont get it. I am surprised but I guess I shouldnt be. I remember growing up in church when we would have preachers talking about the sins of rock music. Some of that stuff was legalism but I do believe there is meat to it. I mean, look at what rock music stands for. Look at what the musicians stand for. Do we as a church now take a stance that it is ok to promote their activities since we suport their work? Should we play Brittany Spears music and say it is ok to go out and get trashed with your friends? Maybe we should play Led Zepplin's Highway to Heaven and tell everyone it is ok because it has heaven in the title! What are we coming to? Is there no separation? Are we to conform to the world?

What is the purpose of music in church? Is it worship? If so, then why are we not singing music that lifts up God? When we are in His house we are there to bring glory to our almighty God! Do you think playing Pink Floyd's Money brings glory to God? I am just so amazed at what we are debating today in the church.

Oh yea, just so you dont think I am some 70 yr old COG oldy, I am 31 yrs old and I believe in holiness, sanctification (that is separation from sin for those seekers who are reading this:) ), evangelism, and telling people that if they dont accept the only way to heaven, through Christ, then there is a penalty to pay and that penalty is eternal torment in hell. I believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit. I believe in the power of the Holy Spirit. I believe the Holy Spirit operates today in believers who are wiling to follow Christ wholeheartedly and strive to be different from the world. I am frustrated...these would seem like normal things you would believe in, but sometimes I scratch my head and wonder what is wrong with the church today. (stepping down from soap box before I really get going here). HOLINESS...it is what we need to strive for...to be like Christ...not to be like the world!
"Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it." Matt. 7:13-14
Acts-celerater
2/27/07 6:42 pm

Post Re: I dont get it doilooklost
COGCharlie wrote:
HOLINESS...it is what we need to strive for...to be like Christ...not to be like the world!

Ditto to what he said. Amen brother preach that message.
2/27/07 7:33 pm

Post DHDRabbi
Our church will play a song that has to do with the sermon series, be it Christian or secular.

I know this...if you put the Song of Solomon to music, you couldn't play it in most churches.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/27/07 7:40 pm

Post vintagefaith77
our youth did a drama about depression to the Johnny Cash song "Hurt"...it was one of the most moving things I have ever seen. I think if it's done for a reason and not just to be "cool" or "relevent", then it could be ok. Acts Enthusiast
2/27/07 8:15 pm

Post KevinLloyd
I'll speak into this. I don't know what Jesus would do. I don't know that they had "secular" music back in the day.

I know what I would do, I would use it. I do use it.

Here's how:

Our goal on a Sunday AM is to do 1 thing: ENGAGE PEOPLE.
We want to engage the lost & the found. This means using a song that may captivate their attention...secular or not. We use worship music that points to the message for the day. We would also use a secular one that did the same thing.

Example:
We're planning a worship experience for August this week. It focuses on communicating our Invest & Invite Strategy for evangelism. The title of the message & the day is "How To Save A Life". There's a huge beach theme, beach balls, towels, lifeguard stand on stage.
Here's what I've got so far in regards to service flow:

- Countdown/Announcement Video
- Salvation Is Here (communicates how God will save the day)
- Never Let Go (communicates that no matter where we or anyone is at in life, God will always hold strong to us)
- Mighty To Save (communicates that God is, well...mighty to save)
**all of the songs have messages of grace, God's power to be the savior, deliverance, seeking the lost...plus they're slammin'.
- Announcement Video
- Video Profile of a person's story who was led to Christ by someone investing in their life & then making the invite to attend.
- Song: How to Save A Life by the Fray
- Song during offering...don't know what yet.

Hope that helps as to how we would use a song. And yes, sometimes I would throw one in to lead off or end worship.
www.kevinlloydlive.com
www.twitter.com/kevinlloyd
Acts-celerater
2/27/07 9:20 pm

Post Memory03
KevinLloyd wrote:
I'll speak into this. I don't know what Jesus would do. I don't know that they had "secular" music back in the day.

I know what I would do, I would use it. I do use it.

Here's how:

Our goal on a Sunday AM is to do 1 thing: ENGAGE PEOPLE.
We want to engage the lost & the found. This means using a song that may captivate their attention...secular or not. We use worship music that points to the message for the day. We would also use a secular one that did the same thing.

Example:
We're planning a worship experience for August this week. It focuses on communicating our Invest & Invite Strategy for evangelism. The title of the message & the day is "How To Save A Life". There's a huge beach theme, beach balls, towels, lifeguard stand on stage.
Here's what I've got so far in regards to service flow:

- Countdown/Announcement Video
- Salvation Is Here (communicates how God will save the day)
- Never Let Go (communicates that no matter where we or anyone is at in life, God will always hold strong to us)
- Mighty To Save (communicates that God is, well...mighty to save)
**all of the songs have messages of grace, God's power to be the savior, deliverance, seeking the lost...plus they're slammin'.
- Announcement Video
- Video Profile of a person's story who was led to Christ by someone investing in their life & then making the invite to attend.
- Song: How to Save A Life by the Fray
- Song during offering...don't know what yet.

Hope that helps as to how we would use a song. And yes, sometimes I would throw one in to lead off or end worship.

hey Kev... which of the songs are secular? l don't recognize them by the titles?

Real Men get their haircut in a Barber Shop... The rest go to beauty parlors...
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/27/07 9:27 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Kevin,

That service looks awesome. It looks like you have put a lot of thought into it. Do you have any resources that you consulted to learn how to put together a complete experience like that? Books, blogs, etc?

I'm really, really impressed by the way you've woven your theme through every part of your service and I'd love to know more about it.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/27/07 9:33 pm

Post I still dont get it Charlie Metz
How do you preach holiness? How do you preach sanctification and separation? How do you preach being a light to the world or salt of the earth? How can you be like the world yet maintain your christian testimony? The ends do not justify the means. You cant compromise your message and expect people to someday "get it right" and all of the sudden have an epiphany ah ha moment and change their actions. How long do you wait? When do you tell them about santification and holiness? What is the prescribed waiting period beore you tell them they should act different? When do you tell them that their is a lif of holiness that must lead?

It is more than just engaging with someone...I do that in my work everyday. I am in sales, I engage with people all day everyday. It is a people business. However, I sell anything to anyone and I can tell you now that you dont sell salvation... I dont care how you package it.

There comes a time when you have wonder about the wide path and the narrow path. Be careful.
"Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it." Matt. 7:13-14
Acts-celerater
2/27/07 10:06 pm

Post Secular Pastor Gary
I know there are secular lyrics, but what does secular MUSIC sound like? Does a secular Bb-minor chord sound sound less spiritual than a gospel Bb-minor chord? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by Pastor Gary on 2/27/07 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts Mod
2/27/07 10:13 pm

Post Re: I still dont get it Raised COG
COGCharlie wrote:
How do you preach holiness? How do you preach sanctification and separation? How do you preach being a light to the world or salt of the earth? How can you be like the world yet maintain your christian testimony? The ends do not justify the means. You cant compromise your message and expect people to someday "get it right" and all of the sudden have an epiphany ah ha moment and change their actions. How long do you wait? When do you tell them about santification and holiness? What is the prescribed waiting period beore you tell them they should act different? When do you tell them that their is a lif of holiness that must lead?

It is more than just engaging with someone...I do that in my work everyday. I am in sales, I engage with people all day everyday. It is a people business. However, I sell anything to anyone and I can tell you now that you dont sell salvation... I dont care how you package it.

There comes a time when you have wonder about the wide path and the narrow path. Be careful.

My thoughts exactly! However, I think this is one of those emergent philosophies that we traditional folks will never understand or agree with!
2/27/07 10:14 pm

Post Re: Hey, Charlie Raised COG
rakj wrote:
Let's compare fruit. Your "holiness" gospel compared to our relevant message.

My apologies! I thought we were discussing secular music in the church.
2/27/07 10:19 pm

Post doilooklost
Well I am very old school, but if I had a choice of AC/DC or DC TALK at church I will take DC TALK. Have you heard the new Toby Mac.
2/27/07 10:31 pm

Post Charlie Metz
I thought we were talking about having rock stars promoted in church as well...however, I will address it...

Quote:
Let's compare fruit. Your "holiness" gospel compared to our relevant message

Hmmm...are you reading the same Bible? If I recall, when I read my Bible, we are called to holiness. Maybe it is just MY Bible, not sure...take a look and let me know.

Quote:
How many souls have you won to Christ in the past two years?
Our church has won over 200

Uh...not sure if we met our quota last year or this year. Last I looked, we were tracking to hit our sciptural mandate of spreading the gospel to the world.

Quote:
We have a discipleship program that works to keep as many of them as possible

So this could get things stirred up... Are they saved because of the program? Are they saved because you plugged them in with some christian friends? Are they saved because they understood the message better? If they are born again/saved, do you really have to work and work and work to keep them saved? I mean, once you have had an experience with the Holy Sovereign God of the universe, do I need an engaging "program" to keep me saved?
Acts-celerater
2/27/07 10:33 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Hot Discussions Post new topic   Reply to topic